Saturday, March 17, 2007

Frozen in Carbonite

In the fall, I got so bored at work I decided it would be a good idea to make an alter ego profile on Facebook. What fictitious character should I be? There were already numerous Jack Sparrows, Chewbaccas, and even a Willow Ufgood or two. I decided on Lando Calrissian (for some reason, nobody thought of it yet… although the frightening thought is how many people actually do this sort of thing). I had the perfect picture, and I set about making the profile reflect the man (Facebook has categories such as interests, political alignment, and current employment). To get a Facebook profile, though, I actually had to register for a whole new Hotmail account. It’s a lot of work having a secret identity.

The sociological experiment was underway: make contacts on Facebook for Lando, without letting people know it’s really me; add other people’s alter egos as friends (such as Han Solo and Dash Rendar); see how long it takes for my Lando to spread throughout the country to hundreds of total strangers.

For a while, I would do Lando updates every week, then eventually it became a chore, then after that I just plain forgot about it. I tried to log in as Lando Calrissian yesterday, only to find out that the account has been frozen… in carbonite! Apparently I haven’t logged into Hotmail or Facebook as Lando Calrissian for so long, they won’t let me anymore.

Oh well. I got over it pretty quickly. Perhaps, one day, Lando Calrissian will ride again. Fly. Er… whatever.

0 Comments:

<< Home