Monday, September 10, 2007

An Understanding

A LifeGroup is a small group of people who meet regularly together. These groups have a variety of personalities, gifts and expressions but have common values such as Worship, Friendship, Evangelism and Disciplineship.

That is taken from the Metro Christian Fellowship website. My Life Group meets Sunday at 7:00 PM and consists mostly of people in their twenties. Basically, we meet at someone’s house and do prayer and discussion, but for the past few months or so, the focus has been on community and knowing each other’s life stories. Last night was my turn to tell the story of my journey.

How do you convey your entire persona in two hours? You do what you can, starting by describing your roots and ending with your current revelations, trying to hit the major points along the way, but it’s hard. Inevitably, something is misrepresented or even omitted entirely. Kind of like posting on the blog… hm. But I think I managed to adequately describe my nature, values, virtues, wisdom, experiences, life lessons, and even proclivities.

Naturally, it was impossible to describe the extraordinarily complicated trials of the Ohio life… much of which I didn’t even discuss on the blog. The funny thing is, I told people that if they really wanted to know the story a little better, they could dig up the archives on the blog (with the caveat that they would have to sift through endless heaps of stupid, juvenile, self-referential material). Even so, much of the trials and revelations were not blogged about, so a complete understanding is still elusive.

Several of the people from Life Group are on Facebook, so they already have access to the blog via the link on my profile (same goes for MySpace). However, there just may be a whole new generation of readers to alienate!

Lately, a lot of people in unrelated contexts have been posing the question of what I “want.” That is a very precarious word, one with a broad range of connotations and inherent dangers. I tend to recoil from the word, thinking it is in my best interest to not become to attached to “want,” instead “letting go” of selfish desires, even when they are not to be abhorred, opting for simplicity and sacrifice. I am tempted to go into the philosophical paradox of want, but that’s a whole separate topic, and Aaron Marx might be the only one interested in it anyway. This is totally a Panera conversation.

Seriously, though, it’s good to feel like an understanding is finally being reached. It seems like it usually takes a year to achieve any real sense of camaraderie with any group of people. Since I am staying in Kansas City after all, I look forward to building on the assets I have already established here.

Life doesn’t stop and wait for you, either. While I’m going to be busy settling into a new routine in Overland Park, everyone else is racing along at top speed. Cultivating one relationship comes at the expense of another. Balancing time among priorities and responsibilities is as problematic as ever. As the season changes from summer to autumn, it also changes from one of recovery to one of building new foundations. That’s about as clear as mud, because I still don’t have a solid grasp on a career plan. Meanwhile, I am going to be an uncle, I am drastically revamping my meager existence, and my coffee cup is empty. So if you’ll excuse me… I must get a refill.

16 Comments:

Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I think the real danger you should be aware of is navigating traffic and bad attitudes in Johnson County!

Monday, September 10, 2007 12:42:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Oh and, uh, don't look now but I think you meant discipleship.

And actually I believe the scripture they're citing says that, "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them",(Matthew 18:20; NKJV). I realise it's a small matter to some, but since language conveys meaning we should probably convey it as accurately as possible.

Am I nitpicking?

Monday, September 10, 2007 1:17:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I knew that, but I was deliberately steering clear of esoteric vernacular and specific Biblical citations. The title stays, because it's what I meant.

An Understanding. That's what we came to. There were many potential titles, but this is the one I wanted to use to "convey it as accurately as possible," the essense of the milestone in question. Also, it's a track title from Kingdom of Heaven, which is totally sweet.

Indeed, the "church" are just such a setting, where a bunch of people get together in His name at somebody's house and just love. I could have gone on and on about the discipleship and theme of community in my Life Group and at Metro, but the post was already long and deep enough.

But thanks for undermining me.

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:01:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Oh wait, you were referring to "disciplineship" from the quote on the website. Well, that's a quote. I didn't change it because that's what a quote is. I also didn't add a space in "LifeGroup" where there should be one.

Sorry, I thought you were challenging my title.

We cool, B?

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:05:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I also could have used a better word than "meager" to modify "existence," but I wanted that word because of the wry humor of the phrase.

Given the condescending tone of your comment, can you blame me for reading it as incendiary?

Remember your favorite quote regarding Arnold Schoenberg...

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

That's hilarious that you misunderstood me. No. The title works. I like the title.

But I just looked it up. It is, in fact, "discipleship".

I think your indian name should be Knee-Jerk.

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:19:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

One time in Mostly Live [shudder], Carol Perry, the bluntest person in the entire music department, said in the middle of the meeting, "Tim, you're such a reactionary."

To that, for humor's sake, I responded, "What's that supposed to mean?!"

I think the deliberate irony was lost on everyone in the room. It served only to bite me in the bum.

Anyway, I saw the word "disciplineship," looked at it, shook my head, and said, "Eh. Whatever. It's not my typo. I'll keep it."

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:35:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Regarding your first comment, I think I am plenty familiar with traffic and bad attitudes as it is. Friday night, I was being quite threateningly harassed by a pair of gansta muthas in a sleek black sports car on Gregory by Swope Park who decided I "wasn't driving" because I was using turn signals and observing the speed limit. Apart from the leapfrogging that ensued across four stoplights, the unwarranted birdies, and the honking of a horn which was ideally installed for less frivolous usage, the verbal exchange through lowered windows revealed a dim, dim wit.

The point is that it can only go up from there.

[knock on wood]

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:53:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I had forgotten about that exchange between you and Carol. Then again, most of Mostly Live has since gone into the circular file of my brain. On the rare occasions that I try to retrieve it I get an error message and then the screen goes blue.

That was funny, though.

Monday, September 10, 2007 4:48:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

So are you moving to Overland Park?

Monday, September 10, 2007 4:48:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You are not going to be an uncle. We are not brothers, therefore you can make no kinship claims to the child I am carrying.

Friday, September 14, 2007 11:14:00 AM

 
Blogger Julio Appling said...

Whoa, I totally just accidentally posted from the Student Loan account. Now people think Liz is carrying a child.

Friday, September 14, 2007 11:16:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Wow, that was... bizarre. And not in the usual, trademark surrealism that is "the Julio thing." I seriously read that comment 6 times before I read your follow-up.

Besides, I thought *I* was the father of your child...

Friday, September 14, 2007 3:16:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

For once, I was expecting Herr Vogler to kill a post, especially since his question set up the next post, but it turns out that this post was only resting... from a very prolonged squawk.

Friday, September 14, 2007 3:17:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

THE END

Friday, September 14, 2007 3:17:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

What in the chartreuse blazes?

Monday, September 17, 2007 12:47:00 PM

 

<< Home