Monday, August 20, 2007

Mantra

This is an idea I’ve been mulling over and modifying since Christmas.

The original impetus for this massive project was to be a “sample” score to launch a personal website and garner the attention of prospective collaborators and film music fans. Eventually, I actually had a story to go with it, and I had about 3 CDs worth of titled cues. It became an unnecessarily elaborate “fake score” to market myself. Then, I decided why make it a fake score, and why not make it usable in a video game? That is, why not make the cues less capricious and organic, and more loop-able? So then it became a “fake video game score”… and then I developed the story even more.

And then it became a hobby. I spent more time conceiving of a storyline, characters, and their universe than I did actually writing music for it. I was waiting until I could get hold of some of the Captain’s ethnic sound fonts, which would require me to figure out a few ownership problems with Logic Pro 7 I’ve been procrastinating. I called the Captain a while back about this project idea, and I ended up talking for about an hour about the story and its marketability.

A couple Wednesdays ago, I was hanging out with the unsinkable Herr Vogler, and he told me something I’ve heard a few times before: I should seriously consider writing a book. I never took the recommendation seriously before that, but I started thinking. Maybe it was because I feel so strongly that my talent is going to waste, but I was reminded of a few things. First of all, I was serious about writing when I was in junior high, but nobody’s ambitions at that age count for anything. Secondly, I was reminded that I was almost out of paper plates. Finally, I thought of the other times the same thing was recommended. Even Dr. Carol Hess, the author of the English language itself, said I was a great writer. Granted, that wasn’t fiction, but still. I should have listened.

So I’ve been deciding what to do about this since hanging out with Brad. Should Mantra be the composition project I hit hard next? Or should I work on adapting it into a sci-fi action book series? I’ve been juggling some priorities. Obviously, the job/apartment search is immediate, albeit fruitless. Reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire doesn’t seem so important right now. And my PS2 doesn’t even work anymore, so there’s no distraction of video games. So Mantra is becoming a priority, but in what capacity? That is the question.

I don’t want to go into the plot too much, in case I do decide to write a book trilogy about it. Personally, I’d really like to see it adapted into a video game for which I may compose. After all, it will probably never be a miniseries or anything. On the other hand, you never know what kind of crap will get adapted for the screen farther down the road.

Ultimately, I just want this project to somehow propel my dead career. Maybe I can earn a few bucks by getting a book published, or maybe I can use the music to get hired to do other projects. It’s better than nothing. Even though I’ve really told you nothing, at least I have the title up, so I can prove one day that I came up with it first. If there’s anything I’ve learned from the Captain, it’s that someone else coincidentally uses your title before you can do anything with it yourself.

I just don’t want to pitch the story on my blog just yet, because there are a few more dimensions that need development. I hate to do the comparative pitch thing because it immediately undermines originality, but… I would say that the setting of the story and the musical style are both like “a cross between Halo and Battlestar Galactica.” It sounds horribly contrived and dime-a-dozen, but that’s what all pitches sound like.

12 Comments:

Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I'm unsinkable? I've been called a lot of things in my lifetime, but that's new.

Ostensibly my life is all sunshine and puppies.

word verification: wasmdyvr

Monday, August 20, 2007 10:27:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

So last night I stopped by the Apple Store and bought the World Music Jam Pack or whatever. It's a $100 solution to a $500 problem. Until I can actually utilize the Captain's latest toys, the ethnic instrument library, I have enough digital world music capacity to go on now. I installed it and tinkered with all the patches last night, but it will be a few days before I can actually have time to really compose anything with them for more than an hour at a time. However, Mantra just bumped itself up to the top of my to-do list, just under job/apartment searching. Eat it, Harry Potter and the Broken PS2!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:28:00 AM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Am I supposed to comment on this to officially shut it down?

Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:28:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

That's all I was waiting for. Thanks.

It is funny how even the more "important" or "substantive" posts seem to arouse some sort of extroverted apathy. I just coined that. Yeah.

To paraphrase Zoolander: Just give in to the power of the blog...

Or perhaps a more relevant quote would be from The Last Samurai:

"What do you WANT from me?!"

Thursday, August 23, 2007 10:33:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

At which point, one of you arses chimes in,

"What do you want for yourself?"

And I begin to rethink the whole blog think, then come up with a treatise on Land of Song. Then another arse points out that I apparently named my blog after Wales, and I vehemently insist the name of the blog ties into my handle as "the warrior bard," at which point I have to reiterate an early blog post explaining that...

...and the blog collapses in on itself.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 10:37:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Captain... you son of a bitch.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 10:37:00 AM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:52:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

KRACKOW!

The Nazi spits out a mouthful of teeth and blood as he stumbles back. The splatter of crimson and pearly whites isn't much of a cushion for his face when it impacts the zeppelin's surface. His body follows, no less gracefully.

Shaking disorientation off, the Nazi wipes a red rivulet from his mouth, and casts a glance over his shoulder.

Through a frame of flames, we can see the ground rapidly approaching.

He smiles. Wickedly.

GENERAL VON DEATHENSTEIN
Foolish, my dear Captain. Very foolish.

A sturdy silhouette steps forward and towers over camera. Deathenstein casts his glance upwards and grins an only significantly less toothy grin.

GENERAL VON DEATHENSTEIN
While you busied yourself dispatching my zombie soldiers and the Aztec bird-god... and then during your zeal to "hand me my ass" as you so eloquently put it… you doomed yourself to a fiery fate...

The silhouette steps forward. Though, worse for wear, no doubt that it's the Captain.

GENERAL VON DEATHENSTEIN
...Captain.

THE CAPTAIN
No problem, General. Handing you your ass was the highlight of my day.

Deathenstein begins to cackle manically. It’s clear that he expects some cohort to join him, but the Captain has clearly dispatched all of the general’s flunkies. Deathenstine’s smile fades.

GENERAL VON DEATHENSTEIN
The day is not yet over!

Deathenstein sweeps the Captain off his feet in a move that would have ignited the entire break dancing craze had it not been executed by a undead German general - who was shortly to become quite dead. No, rather, the genesis of breaking would happen as it was always meant to, in the Bronx during the dawn of the 1970s.

Following his sweep through, Deathenstein spins himself to his feet.

GENERAL VON DEATHENSTEIN
Impressed?

THE CAPTAIN
Truthfully?

The Captain pulls himself, on one knee and then to his feet. He stares down at the silvery surface.

GENERAL VON DEATHENSTEIN
Yes. Don't spare my feelings.

The Captain glances up and around, like he's worried about prying ears.

THE CAPTAIN
It was pretty cool.

GENERAL VON DEATHENSTEIN
Really?

THE CAPTAIN
Yeah...
(chuckles)
I especially liked the part where you had the harpoon jammed through your sternum.

GENERAL VON DEATHENSTEIN
Ya. Dat vas pretty--

The Captain abruptly drops to the deck.

GENERAL VON DEATHENSTEIN
(concern)
Vait... vat harpoon through my sternum?

Just then, a large harpoon flies through the air and impales Deathenstein through the chest.

A little less than half in, and a little more than half out the back, the general succumbs to the weight of the harpoon, teeters, and falls back. The harpoon jabs into the skin of the zeppelin.

THE CAPTAIN
That harpoon.

The Captain glances over his shoulder, then stands triumphantly.

THE CAPTAIN
Great shot, Timmy.

A short Asian kid, wearing a baseball cap and a yellow backpack, runs up to the Captain's side.

TIMMY
That's for spoiling the end to Harry Potter you jackhole!

Deathenstein groans, shifts a bit, but is well pinned by the harpoon. He whimpers.

THE CAPTAIN
Well, my work here is done.

TIMMY
You're work?! I pinned him to the zeppelin with a fucking harpoon! All you did was get your ass kicked and fall down a lot, Frodo.

THE CAPTAIN
(clenched teeth)
Unless you want to stay in the body of a 8-year-old Asian boy for the rest of eternity, where you get to befriend Gamera, or God help you, baby Godzilla, I suggest you tow the company line, Short Round.

TIMMY
(sigh)
Gee Whiz! Let's get outta here, Captain!

The Captain switches on his trusty rocket pack, and smiles.

THE CAPTAIN
Well, alright! Hold on, Timmy!

He crushes the trigger. Blue flames erupt from the pack as they lift off the surface of the zeppelin, moments before impact.

THE CAPTAIN
ZZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

GENERAL DEATHENSTEIN
Captain... you SON OF A BITCH!

The zeppelin fireball slams into the ground, endlessly collapsing into itself like a paper bag full of lit gasoline. Or a blog.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:54:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

INT. OFFICE BUILDING - TOP FLOOR - NIGHT

Dan watches the zeppelin explode silently, filling the view of the floor-to-ceiling windows. A single clap echoes behind him.

Then another. Then another.

Dan turns around, hands at his sides, but ready for anything. The executive chair swivels around to reveal an aged, still-Asian TIMMY, clapping bemusedly.

TIMMY
Well done, Captain. You ressurrected the old format from previous, more inane posts. And on an actually meaningful post, no less. Old jokes die hard, it would seem.

DAN
What the hell? There's no continuity in this transition. What are we doing here, all of the sudden? And how come you look--

TIMMY
SILENCE!

Timmy rises, shoving the chair back by armrests. He stalks around the room at an angle to Dan, though his face remains fixed in his direction, evoking a predatory demeanor.

TIMMY
YOU were the one who terminated this format, and now you brought it back, all in the name of sarcasm. Now, my old friend... [grins maliciously] you will have a hard time getting rid of it.

DAN
[puts one hand on his hip, defiantly]
Well, TIMMY...

TIMMY
It's pronounced... Tih'myeaw.

DAN
Whatever. I seem to recall you being the one who whined about how I killed it prematurely last time. So I thought I'd humor you, for old times sake. Old. Friend. So which is it? Who is more annoyed here? Don't project your woes on me.

TIMMY
Well, I can see now where my readers' priorities lie. You people... you pressure me to focus more on being productive, then don't care when I blog about something of significance. Shall I just compose in a vacuum? You lose interest when the blog becomes a series of wasteful inside jokes, yet you fidget when I get sincere, and your eyes glaze over when I become esoteric.

DAN
You are a fastidious bastard.

TIMMY
No, you are! Get your own blog!

DAN
Ah, but I do have one. This one.

TIMMY
There can be only ONE Warrior Bard!

DAN
Oh God. Don't reference that. I'll have to go through and edit out any Highlander references.

TIMMY
[looks unsettled, confused]
H...how...?

DAN
I have your password.

Dan pulls out a bottle of Southern Comfort.

TIMMY
How did you--?! Who told?!

DAN
Nobody told. It only took me two guesses, too.

TIMMY
That's not fair! I haven't had any SoCo since February!

Dan raises an eyebrow.

TIMMY
March.

Dan clears his throat.

TIMMY
All right, last night. But this week is the first bottle I bought since March. It's just an unfortunate coincidence for me now...

DAN
Whatever.

TIMMY
What was your first guess?

DAN
Seinfeld, of course.

TIMMY
That's not fair, either!

DAN
Let me guess. Last night, you were "multitasking" or "housecleaning" while watching Seinfeld and drinking Southern Comfort, weren't you.

Timmy rushes Dan, plunging both of them out the window of the top floor. Dan brings the bottle down hard on the back of Timmy's head and it shatters. As they fall amidst the broken glass, the alcohol absorbs into Timmy's clothes, transforming him...

TIMMY
[cackles madly]
You fool! You cannot defeat me with Southern Comfort! It will only empower me, and you will see me in my TRUE form!!

Dan grapples with him mid-air, tumbling as they rapidly approach the street below...

Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:50:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

So when are you going to start churning out some new music?

Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:57:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

GKAWW--HAWWW! YOU!! OOOOOOOOH!!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:06:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

You lured me into more self-deprecation. Oh, the cunning.

I have been messing around with several cues, but not in a very efficient manner. I have, however, discovered the need to have more sounds in order to do what I had in mind. Go figure.

I also feel the need to make it a priority to get the symphonic stuff working, so I can make a decent digital rendition of my thesis. I'll be damned if that old thing never does me any good... after what I went through at BGSU... anyway, that would take money, most likely, so I'll hold off on the thesis recording.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:11:00 PM

 

<< Home