Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Thanks for Nothing

Well, I blasted through Outbound Flight and Darth Bane, and I came to a crossroads. The nine-book Legacy of the Force series isn’t even all published yet, and The Lord of the Rings sounded a little too dense for what I’m feeling like. Amanda Plocher talked me into just skipping to the Harry Potter books.

I realized it was silly to wait for all seven paperback editions to be released in a box set; they’re books, not DVDs. There won’t be any extra features in a book. So I just finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone today at lunch. I realized that I wanted to read them and have the events be revealed in their natural, narrative form, rather than hear someone give away the seventh book several months from now.

I already knew a major spoiler (a death of a character) that occurs in the sixth book, and I already knew of another death in the fifth book long before I got the chance to see the movie. I thought, “Wow, thanks for nothing, Facebook.” I decided to completely alter my reading schedule based on the reality that people are obtuse pricks and will talk about everything as soon as it happens.

I figured I’d have a grace period of a few weeks before major plot points were ruined in day-to-day, public conversation. I figured I could catch up if I started this week and thus be able to have an enjoyable reading experience.

I was wrong.

Facebook is a social network of friends’ profiles. Unfortunately, it has degenerated into the interior of an eighth-grader’s locker with all its trendy, unnecessary extra features and utilities. One of these, the mini-feed, shoves useless news down your throat. All you do is log in, and you see what people have changed their status to (customizable lines of text), the names of groups they’ve joined, etc.

That last part is the kicker. I log in, and it says, “So and so has joined the group ___________.” The group name told me TWO characters who die in book seven. Thanks, Facebook.

Seriously, where’s the common sense? Common courtesy? Common decency? The book hasn’t even been out for two weeks! That really pissed me off. I’m half tempted to just not even bother reading the books, because all the fun is going to be sucked out of them anyway. Seriously. That’s colossally rude. Why do people so thoughtlessly soil the potential enjoyment for others? It would seem to me that, if you really love these books so much, you would want to spread the enjoyment. Even if you are selfish enough not to care about sharing the fun, look at it this way: if others love it as much, it validates your opinion.

I can understand having an open discussion about plot points on a message board that was specifically created for said book. But this is a page of memos that you can’t filter. I’ve been blindsided by major plot points that should, at the very least, come with the caveat: “SPOILER ALERT!!”

Thanks for nothing, everyone who has ever given away spoilers. I might as well just go on and read Legacy of the Force first, since nothing has been ruined for me yet. You see? You see how this is making me do the complete opposite of my new plan for the exact same reason? I’ll read whatever is most likely to be ruined for me if I don’t read it soon. “But you have to read Harry Potter!! They’re so good, you’ll love ‘em!” If people want me to read a book series, they should shut their yaps and let me read it.

And I have liked Facebook less and less every day.

42 Comments:

Blogger The Captain said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Friday, August 03, 2007 11:41:00 AM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

***SPOILER ALERT***

Harry Potter is a wizard.

Evil is defeated.

He Who Must Not Be Named is named. Just like in every other book. His name is "Now That I've Seen You, You Are Not Nearly As Menacing As The Concept Of You" or "Pretentious Bastard".

A lot of beloved characters die senselessly, because Rowling only knows how to express serious danger by turning Hogwarts into a magical wizard maiming blender rather than exploring the complex inner workings of a character's mind... therefore writing a series of books that read like they were DESTINED FOR THE SCREEN... just like Harry is destined to be turned into a goldfish on page 563 by Dumbledore - as shambling zombie - via the Barelythere Latimnuos curse.

J.K. Rowling has more money than God and Vishnu combined. And when their powers combine, THEY ARE CAPTAIN PLANET... the only cartoon to ever give Al Gore 98% renewable wood.

***END SPOILER ALERT***

Friday, August 03, 2007 11:56:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Captain Planet. What's the point of the five kids' powers when they can't get anything done by themselves? Why wait until the last two minutes of the episode to put their rings together to summon Captain Planet? Just call him right away! It's not like he has anything else going on. Seriously, those kids are like the retarded foster children of the Green Lantern.

Environmentalism and one-liners do NOT fit together, Captain Planet! I prefer the environmental moral messages from South Park, such as "screw the rainforest."

What happened? What was this post about? Oh yeah, people defecating on my chest for not being caught up on a series of British children's books.

Dean and I were at the Plaza for the midnight release of the book (well, we weren't there "for" it; rather, we were there for alcohol). I didn't even know books had midnight releases. But there were hordes of people dressed in costume just to loiter for hours at Barnes & Noble. I kid you not.

Seriously, WHY. Just get up early and buy the book THEN. It's not like you're going to stay up all night and read the entire book in one sitting!! Or maybe you will. I can understand dressing up for a midnight release of a big franchise movie (though it's not how I roll), but a BOOK RELEASE? That's fandom. Either that, or the desperation from realizing that there are only two more legitimate opportunities to don the taped glasses and robe: the remaining movie releases.

And Al Gore is a phony.

"PHOOOONYYYY!! HEY! This guy's a great big PHONY!!"

Friday, August 03, 2007 1:08:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Surely you are not implying that fans who line up for a midnight book release are LESS sad than fans who line up for a midnight film release... are you?

"How you money make?" I don't know where to even begin to diagram that sentence.

Friday, August 03, 2007 2:21:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

You see if you had just blasted your way out of Mos Eisley when you had the chance you could've avoided all that.

And even though it is a toss-up regarding the midnight release, those buying the book are slightly less pathetic because reading requires higher levels of cognition than watching any film that's expecting enough business to have a midnight showing.

Friday, August 03, 2007 2:39:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

And Al Gore may be a phony. Fine. But I'd rather have a phony than the evil that we're currently saddled with.

Friday, August 03, 2007 2:40:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Let's just pretend we were talking about Harry Potter and the dickery of spoilers.

Oooh. That's the eighth book right there! Harry Potter and the Dickery of Spoilers.

Friday, August 03, 2007 3:05:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

I've got a shittier idea...

Perhaps this will draw us together and back to the topic in hand...

While standing in line for the release of the seventh Harry Potter book after just having seen a late night showing of Order of the Phoenix, Al Gore posted a series of Potter spoilers to Facebook, after just having invented the Intenets by carving it out of wood from a renewable forest*.

* meaning any forest on the face of the goddamned Earth.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Bruce Willis kills Severus Snape.

***END SPOILER***

Friday, August 03, 2007 4:18:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Bruce Willis kills Severus Snape, but... by Grapthor's Hammer, he shall be avenged.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 6:04:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

With a spoon.

Because it would hurt more.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 10:56:00 AM

 
Blogger JAK said...

I'm laughing so hard at this comment conversation that I can't even leave a comment.

I shall say only this: I saw an episode of Captain Planet where the kids called the blue dude at least three times during the episode.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 12:58:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

What if... Captain Planet... turns out to be Voldemort?!

Sunday, August 05, 2007 4:58:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

And what if Voldemort turns out to be three ducks in a man costume?

That... would be a dickery of a spoiler.

What the hell does that mean... is that anything like jackassery?

Sunday, August 05, 2007 5:09:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Exactly.

"I'm not really a horse... I'm a broom."

Sunday, August 05, 2007 5:20:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I finished reading the second book. Now I'm on and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I don't know if I will lose steam or not, but I'm still pushing forward.

It seems like these books would be much more enjoyable if I were reading them on a chilly day in October, sitting at the coffee shop. Or maybe around Christmas time. But in triple-digit-degree weather, I would rather be reading something that takes place on Tatooine...

Sunday, August 05, 2007 5:30:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

At least Tatooine would be a dry heat. This is more like the Caribbean without the seafood.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 8:00:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

***SPOILER ALERT!***

Innocently looking at a "Dramtic Prairie Dog" video on YouTube, someone put together a Remix, and at the very beginning, it says in BIG BOLD LETTERS, "Voldemort kills _______." That's THREE deaths in book 7 I shouldn't know about! Why the hell was it necessary to make an animal spoof of book 7? SERIOUSLY! You're not safe ANYWHERE! This is outrageous. I'm not even through the third book yet.

It occurred to me that, although I'm not spoiling it by giving names, I have already given a minor spoiler by keeping a tally. Oh well, at least I warned you.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 8:12:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I'm not even enjoying reading these books now. It's a race. It's a chore. They have succeeded in killing the fun of reading it. But I have to get it "out of the way"... hopefully books 4 and 5 will be more enjoyable, because there will be so much more to it than was seen in the movies.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 8:14:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Actually, Harry doesn't kill Voldemort.

Jason Bourne does with a tea towel and a used condom wrapper.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 12:10:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Oh, I thought 300 Spartans killed Harry. And then dined with him in Hell (he practices witchcraft, you know).

Speaking of 300... ever wonder if anyone noticed that Tyler Bates ripped off Goldenthal's Titus?

Yup. They did. http://www.300ondvd.com/

Note the disclaimer about 2/3 down the page.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 1:00:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Nice segue.

They posted that last week.

I honestly can't believe nobody at the studio noticed. Seriously. I don't own the score and haven't seen the movie and I noticed from the 30 second clips on iTunes. I don't think Warner Bros. can legitimately claim "no knowledge" but I'm sure Goldenthal got a hefty settlement.

Not only should Tyler Bates be bitch-slapped (he didn't even bother to change keys for chrissakes!), but the music editor and the music superviser should never work again. There's a fine line between emulation, borrowing and outright theft and it's their job to know this stuff and when a composer has gone too far.

Film music lovers can be rabid, scary people. Like we're not going to notice.

This is the kind of plagiarism that would make James Horner blush!

Word verification: vatoato (which I think is Ewok for 'thieving bastard').

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 1:11:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I find that strangely funny.

I mean, at grad school, I had to listen to argument after argument about film composers ripping off other composers, etc. Most of the time, it was just the anti-film music dickheads making references they didn't even grasp themselves, but sometimes it's plain (like U-571 taking Air Force One action cues).

However, this is the first time I've seen a mainstream concern. I think that's just because it's 300. The movie itself has such a strange cult following that even the choral music is a big deal to the fans. I personally loved this movie, and I also have the score to Titus, and... I... really... don't care. I can't believe it became such a big deal that they actually had to put a disclaimer on the site. I especially can't believe they said that they have the utmost respect for Goldenthal and that the matter has been resolved--as if the layman is Goldenthal's mother or something. Sheesh.

That's almost as preposterous as when Alec Baldwin apologized to the nation for a nasty, scathing voicemail he left his daughter. Sure, it was a bad thing to do, and sure, he should apologize. But don't apologize to me, because it's a private family matter and I'm not his daughter. The fact that he apologized at all screamed "phony" to me... it was so obviously an insincere damage control maneuver. I'm not saying he's not sincerely sorry. I'm saying he never had to apologize to the whole country, and the fact that he did so made the whole thing seem fake. You're not sorry you left that message, you're just sorry it was played on CNN. We the people shouldn't give half a crap about it.

Let's see how many irrelevent, unrelated tangents we can fit into this stream. My bad.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 1:22:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Dang it, my post was supposed to come first.

Actually, vatoato means conniving bastard. But close.

I was listening to Willow on the way to work today, and I was reminiscing about a blog post from days past. I can't remember if it was on your page or the Pikey's, but I remember you ripping into Horner without mercy, then proceeding to name 14 or so "indispensible" scores by the same James Horner. Not to pick a fight, but I can name some composers I like a whole lot more than Horner, and I can't think of that many indispensible scores of theirs.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 1:26:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

All I'm saying is that it amuses me that we collectively produces a massive list of salvagable Horner scores, having basically agreed that he is a blight to Hollywood.

This stream is turning into the airing of grievances...

"It's a Festivus miracle!"

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 1:29:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

and my first comment got buried in that exchange. too bad.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 1:29:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 1:31:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Regarding spoilers, right. I'm almost afraid to even go online at all anymore.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 1:41:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Eh... I think it's time for a new post to sully.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 2:28:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Yeah, this one needs a wash.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 4:29:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Here you go:


"A headmistress at a primary school in Somerset, England celebrated the last day of school with her students by reading to them the last page of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Children were shocked and parents were outraged. One student said he put his hands over his ears and squeezed his eyes closed so that he would not hear the ending. The headmistress reportedly gave no warning at all to the four hundred kids in that assembly. The school district spokesman said the principal was tryin to reflect the theme of saying goodbye, but a spokeswoman for the National Confederation of Parent Teacher Associations tells the Sun newspaper the incident was unforgivable, saying it was one of the cruelest things the headmistress could have done to the children."


God help you if you don't read every book THE DAY it's published!

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 8:47:00 AM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

"cruelest things the headmistress could have done to the children."

Really? The cruelest thing? What about rape and dismemberment?

Will that be the new defense?

"Your honor, I may have mutilated and defiled the corpses of my neighbor, his family and their two miniature Schnauzers ... but it's not like I read the last page of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows out loud to them. What kind of monster do you think I am."

Shit, people, it's a book. I have half a mind to post the ending right now.

Right after I get done with these bodies.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 9:38:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

In the words of Logan (and Herr Vogler)...

"You're a dick."

Yeah, I thought that little "news" story was half amusing, half irritating. I can't believe it has possibly become a legal issue, but I'm glad, in a way. Because if the headmistress had done that with me, I would have jumped over the rows of students in front of me and shoved a Hogwarts wand in her ear. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who gets PISSED OFF by this sort of thing. But I can't believe it's in the news.

In Per Broman's opera/film music class, he showed us the ending to the second Kill Bill movie. At the time, I had only seen the first one, and I was kind of irritated that he did that, but at least I technically had the chance to get up and leave. However, since I didn't even care for the first one all that much, it wasn't a traumatizing experience to have the ending to the duology ruined for me. I still haven't seen Kill Bill Part 2.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 10:55:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

And I can certainly think of far more severe instances of "cruelty" than that.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 10:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

You know, for wanting to put this one to bed, it continues to accumulate comments.

I think you could do a better job of leading by example, chief.

Mmmmmm...Buffalo Wild Wings...

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 12:29:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I didn't say I wanted to put this to bed. I've been keeping it open because further spoilers keep happening, so I might as well keep it in one post. Otherwise, I'll post the exact same rant in a few days.

I just finished the third book at lunch... and I look forward to discussing it at BWW tonight...

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 1:02:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I have led by example; the overall tone of the blog has shifted somewhat in the past month or so.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 1:03:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

I moved to put it to bed. And I kept it awake at all hours of the night.

Yes. I am a hypocrite. And quite proud of it, actually.

I mean, I don't have a t-short broadcasting it or anything. But I do have a smug grin that pisses no small amount of people off.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 2:55:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

T-short?

What, am I a pirate, now?

Word verification: zqpibbwm

Come now, that's just cheating a Scrabble.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 2:56:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

You really think this post is dead? WHO ARE YOU TO PLAY GOD?

So who wants to talk about Al Gore?

[gets bombarded with vegetables]

Thursday, August 09, 2007 8:00:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I've broken the 40 barrier. I think this is the most comments a post has gotten yet.

A new post will rise soon... don't you worry...

But what will it be? Will it have to do with some of the talking points from hanging out with Herr Vogler last night? Will it be about how I loathe a certain coworker more with each passing day? Or will it be a fluff article, serving only to fill dead air and bide my time until an actual, substantive post surfaces... oh wait, that's what I'm doing with these comments. Dang.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 8:02:00 AM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

"substantive post"

I saw that phrase, and almost snorted my Chicken in a Bisket.

Maybe that's what a chortle is?

Thursday, August 09, 2007 11:36:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Yeah, I already know what the next post is going to be. It's not going to be pretty. Just wait until I have enough time to actually put my thoughts onto the computer screen.

"Oh, yes, there will be blood..."

Thursday, August 09, 2007 11:44:00 AM

 

<< Home