Thursday, May 03, 2007

May Sweeps

Things suddenly seem to be breaking out of the ordinary. Nothing too epic is going on, but enough little things coincide that make me realize what a transparent attempt it is to boost ratings.

For one thing, two more characters are leaving the show. One is a girl in Life Group, who is leaving at the end of the month (it’s almost as though it portends a countdown to a season finale or something). The other was a coworker whose last day was Friday of last week. She was one of the few remaining “original crew” who predated my time at the office. Scary, but I’m almost a veteran.

[Segue]: Being a “veteran,” having worked there for six months now, I got an evaluation Monday, as well as a raise. That’s pretty sweet. Unexpected, too. However, that may not be quite enough to keep me on.

[Segue]: After all, I just applied for a job at UMKC. More money, better resume-builder. Conceivably, I could quit my current job early this summer in preparation for it. If I do that, I will probably want to take a week off between jobs.

[Segue]: During that hypothetical week between jobs, I would probably visit BG for several days. I would crash at the K-man’s, play Frisbee, visit several people in town, loiter at Grounds for Thought, and see if Dr. Lillios herself can fix my software problems.

Thus, a bit of a prophetic tint to the May sweeps… I guess you have to have some foreshadowing to hype it up.

Last night I had coffee with Aaron Zimmerman, who did his undergrad at BGSU. We had much to discuss, not the least of which was his slightly negative take on the dogma of grad school at UMKC. Dogma is everywhere in academia, it just comes in different forms, on different parts of the spectrum. I’m extremely, extremely skeptical about the allegations that compositional dogma doesn’t exist in the Twin Cities.

Aaron couldn’t shed any light on my Logic problem, though. One interesting thing was the revelation that he actually has a part-time job at a very obscure coffee shop I discovered on my weekend explorations. It’s part of the new commons at Longview. I go there sometimes, and I would have run into him eventually. This news came minutes after learning the server guy at Scooter’s goes to school a few blocks from where I work. Small, small world.

At that point, I started theorizing with Aaron that my life is actually written by J.J. Abrams, only boring. I told him I suspected Kansas City actually consists of only 23 people or so, and everyone else is just CGI or something. All these crossovers… it’s just a gimmick for May sweeps. This never would’ve happened in January.

[Segue]: Another thing that didn’t happen in January was the attempted visit from Starbuck. She is, however, finally going to visit this May. You know what that means: meet up with The Reverend and rob a casino.

The following weekend, Memorial Day, I am going to Kirksville to help Mac and MJ move back there from Hannibal. We’re counting on watching At World’s End. We’re also planning on getting blasted and renting Superman III and IV.

Another contributing element of May sweeps is the fact that I just got a zeppelin. I have been flying it to work all week. If you recall, in a previous post, I developed a ratings-boosting scenario in which the captain gets killed off. It involved a swordfight against zombie Nazis atop a burning zeppelin. Apparently, there’s a good chance this could happen after all! What better way to captivate viewers during May sweeps than to threaten to kill off a supporting character?

There might also be a day of work coming up which will be written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan, but I’m still working out the contract for that. I can guarantee a cameo by Neil Patrick Harris.

Meanwhile, Dean and I have gotten into rock-climbing in Blue Springs. We’re also unlocking the full potential of the plaza and the park. More walking around and doing stuff, in a relaxed mindset that no grad student could really hope for.

The park offers unlimited bonus training time for martial arts, the only caveat being that people will certainly notice. However, it’s a big park in a fairly cosmopolitan area, so nobody will really give a crap. It won’t be that out of the ordinary to see a uniformed karateka working on kata. I mean, you have people doing everything there—reading, laying out, walking their dogs, biking, flying kites, whatever. And there’s a ridiculous amount of space, so it will feel private even though it’s public. And if it’s raining on a Sunday afternoon, that will only encourage me, because fewer people will be outside.

Finally, Dean convinced me that I should not wait to start planning what to do about my apartment situation. I should start asking around my church for friends-of-friends or something. Any living arrangement that could cut down on my expenses next fall would be good.

But that’s not really part of May sweeps. First things first. This weekend: Spider-Man 3 in St. Charles.

In conclusion, far too much is coming together at once for it to be anything less than a transparent attempt to boost ratings and build action into a cliffhanger…

24 Comments:

Blogger The Captain said...

I think you have to tie in the much not-commented on ramble, The Hilda Situation with the sweeps proposal. Somehow.

And my God, The Reverend as a character name. I know not why he earned it (I assume it's a he), but what a cool moniker.

The Reverend, the Captain, Starbuck and... Tim. All these great things could comprise a really boring comic book.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 3:51:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

There are some who call me... that, yes.

Dean Yzon is The Reverend because he has a fake plaque he got somewhere that makes custom seminary diplomas, certificates, or whatever you call them. On his certificate, it's called "The Church of Life"... whatever that means. Sometimes, thus, he is referred to as The Reverend, since he is certified to preach for that fake denomination.

Yeah, The Hilda Situation could go on forever, couldn't it?

Then again, so could the comments to this post. I gave enough disparate material to generate a dozen or so unique threads... every time you reread the post, you'll find something else you want to comment on. I would have broken it up, but it all seemed to be suspiciously related.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:30:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

...or, as the good reverend would say, 'Why we're on this particular mission, we'll never know. But I do know, here today, that the Black Knights will emerge victorious, once again.'

Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:31:00 PM

 
Blogger Reed said...

what's your problem with Logic?

when you say "twin cities" are you referring to KC, of which i am completely unfamiliar, or are you referring to the "real" twin cities St. Paul, Minneapolis MN of which i am somewhat unfamiliar.

i too am an ordained reverend through the universal life church. i can do anything (except for circumcisions...but who has time for that anyway?)

Thursday, May 03, 2007 8:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

There's always time for circumcisions...or is that Jello?

Whatever, works either way!

"Oh no, you did not shoot that green shit at me!!!"

Friday, May 04, 2007 6:31:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

My problem with Logic is a mystery to all.

And I was referring to the "real" twin cities in MN. I guess I could say the same for any university anywhere. If I may paraphrase Lewis Black:

People talk about the university like it's a building, walking around DOING shit. But it's not a building, it's people!
And people, after all, are only human.

Friday, May 04, 2007 8:23:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I think it might be a driver issue, so I might try to reinstall it. I might stop by the captain's quarters this Sunday...

Friday, May 04, 2007 8:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I'm going to be the mongoose to your snake (even though I was born in the year of the snake).

It's true that when you're a creative artist there is going to be dogma everywhere. It is unavoidable. It's merely a matter of degrees based on the insecurities of those with whom you are working.

Some people deal with it and get past it in order to do their own thing while others choose to obsess about it and let it be paralyzing and become a self-fulfilling prophecy of inaction.

Friday, May 04, 2007 11:05:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

"Dogma is everywhere, my friend."
--Brad Fowler

I escaped it alive. They don't keep me from composing. I do believe that the person who told you the dogma at MN is "nonexistent" truly believes it, but I absolutely do not believe it for myself.

Some people deal with it and get past it in order to do their own thing while others choose to obsess about it and let it be paralyzing and become a self-fulfilling prophecy of inaction.


I fall into the former. You'll just have to take my word on that. Jesus Christ.

Friday, May 04, 2007 11:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I didn't say she said it was "nonexistent". She said "practically nonexistent".

Besides, I'm just pulling your chain to annoy the crap out of you.

Friday, May 04, 2007 12:54:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

And, back to what I was saying...

Are Land of Song and The Hilda Situation in the same universe? I'd like to think so. The question is, are Dan and The Captain one in the same? Alter-egos? Or are they separate characters. I'd like to think that they are separate, just so they could team up eventually.

Friday, May 04, 2007 12:59:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

And if Starbuck made an appearance, would she be wearing the old or new Battlestar Galactica uniform? I think old-style. For the kitsch value.

Friday, May 04, 2007 1:00:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Does this makes me the villain that you thought you killed during the last sweeps week?

Shouldn't I have a ridiculous superpower or something?

Friday, May 04, 2007 1:21:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Oh yes. Subject-Verb Disagreement Man!

Friday, May 04, 2007 1:34:00 PM

 
Blogger -A said...

I wish a guy would do katas in the rain in our neighborhood park.

Friday, May 04, 2007 4:10:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Would that be Amanda Brown? If this is Amanda Brown from TSU, then that REALLY illustrates the point. Why, you ask?

What is the significance of Amanda Brown?

Amanda Brown also happens to be the name of the girl from the original crew who just left the office, whom I mentioned in the post. That's right. Two Amanda Browns. One leaves just as the other shows up in bloggerspace?

Seriously, now. This is getting too eerie.

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:16:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Or is that Amanda Plocher? That would be less eerie, as I only know one Amanda Plocher.

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:18:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Herr, didn't you get assigned a superpower on the Pikey's blog? Or whose blog was that?

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:19:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I'll snake your mongoose.

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:20:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

We just got back from seeing Spidey. Sweet, sweet, sweet movie! Anyway, coming out of the theater, I encountered Sarah Barth, of Truman fame.

That's right, another improbable cameo. WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END?!

This is seriously getting out of hand.

I was standing around, talking about the movie, and she tapped me on the elbow. I turned around, my brain froze while it struggled to reconcile the sudden, conflicting data, and I said, "What the hell are you doing here?"

Quite the greeting, huh? Yup, I always was the smooth-talker.

These cameos and crossovers are gettin' wacky, I tell you.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 6:35:00 PM

 
Blogger J.D.J.P. said...

It was the Plocher-ly Amanda.

As far as dogma in the Twin Cities...I'm not in that program, but I think that the "problem," such as there is, is an extremely laissez faire attitude rather than a dogma. The composers here, a lot more than in the Land of Green Bowling, stand or fall on their own two feet (not that the faculty there bent over backwards for their students, but there was a decidedly personal interest in them).

I am a reverend of nothing, but I played Saint George on stage once.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 10:42:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Well, two Amandas don't make a right.

...What?

The profs at BGSU did express personal interest in the students. Just to clarify, Aaron Zim's problem with the mentality at UMKC is the utter lack of imagination, the apathy for progressive thinking. He's a true follower of the Cage school of thought, and he says that the student body generally "doesn't even consider avante-garde as an option."

That's... bass-ackwards. Or is it ass-backwards? Anyway, he says that it's more a problem with the students than the profs; he has nothing but praise for the faculty.

He loves Mark Applebaum, for example. I guess nobody at UMKC finds Aaron's concept of setting an upright piano on fire to be legitimately musical.

Ear of the beholder, I guess. Nevertheless, he is perhaps in the wrong place for what he wants to do.

I feel for him, I really do. It must be frustrating, trying to proceed with some of the interesting and creative performance art ideas he has. Nobody should be in a place that stifles them during a time when they should be spreading their wings and... just exploring.

But enough about that. I would like to take this moment to abruptly redirect my attention to the captain's ideas for comic book character design. I think I need some kind of cape that always appears shredded for some reason and is twice my height, but always flaps in the wind so it never touches the ground. Kind of like Spawn, but it would have to be a color that defeats the purpose of the menacing theatrics.... um... like lavender.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 12:38:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

No capes!

Isn't that my decision?

Do you remember Thunderhead? Tall, storm powers? Nice man, good with kids.

Listen, E...

November 15th of '58! All was well, another day saved, when... his cape snagged on a missile fin!

Thunderhead was not the brightest bulb...

Stratogale! April 23rd, '57! Cape caught in a jet turbine!

E, you can't generalize about these things...

Metaman, express elevator! Dynaguy, snagged on takeoff! Splashdown, sucked into a vortex!

NO CAPES!

Sunday, May 06, 2007 10:38:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

What was a man in a cape doing with my father? ...What was my father doing with a man in a cape...?

Sunday, May 06, 2007 1:09:00 PM

 

<< Home