Friday, November 03, 2006

PC Load Letter

“So what would you say… you do here?

I’m not sure how to describe my job. I’m not even sure I understand what I do. It’s hard to explain. I’m kind of like George Costanza working on the Penske file.

It’s behind-the-scenes stuff—no through traffic. It’s has something to do with archiving, portfolio research/organization, scanning and uploading missing or misfiled documents, and cataloguing. Many of the documents are sensitive, but I wouldn’t know how to exploit them even if I wanted to. We handle boxes upon boxes of folders upon folders of documents that need to be uploaded to Sprint’s electronic database. Apparently, Sprint bought up a bunch of companies and we’re cleaning up the archives. There are a few legal details (a class-action lawsuit was involved?) that I probably shouldn’t post online. At any rate, it’s not glamorous. But it is very laid-back.

There are three of us on the project. There are three phases to this project, and the first two phases are so repetitive that I have to fight loopiness sometimes. I’m allowed plenty of mental slack to think about other things (such as my future goals and plans), and sometimes I start to imagine Aaron and Julio, my former officemates, sitting around with me and making random outbursts. My mind is far too powerful for most parts of the task laid before me, and sometimes I contemplate the sheer WTF of it all: what course of events and choices has led me to this point in my life? I love the fact that I’m in a soul-sucking job. I love getting pissed off at the scanner, too. Sometimes at work, I feel like I’m living someone else's life.

0 Comments:

<< Home