Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Bump in the Night

The Captain and I sort of decided on a sound for The Hollow, as well as descriptions for the thematic material. He had many general things to say, as well as a surprising amount of specifics for how early in production it is (storyboarding phase). I’m not sure if I can describe the sound without giving away key plot points in the movie, but I can list a few composers to think about: Marco Beltrami, Jerry Goldsmith, James Newton Howard, and Michael Giacchino. Well, I guess that could mean anything. I can only assure that I know what I’m doing. Of course, Dan is knowledgeable enough to tell me exactly what to do anyway, if he wants. There is one brilliant insight he had into the opening/ending relationship that, if it’s pulled off correctly, I (being the composer) will get all the credit for his idea!

I know what to do. The only problem is… actually getting players together. I don’t know what my resources will be by the time this thing actually takes off (a year from now?). But I do have six pieces in mind to start as a “demo” score. Once I get all my toys to work with each other, I can make something out of it. Five specific cues, and one “creeping” suite, which I shall refer to as Bump in the Night.

It really is disheartening to know that, at the moment, I don’t even have the capacity to score a low-budget monster movie. What has become of me! Well, actually, I could score a low-budget monster movie right now, using crappy synth sounds. I’m talking about a decent score that actually sells the movie. I’ve done enough crappy synth scores for one lifetime. This could be my big break! The Hollow could rocket everyone involved to stardom!! Or at least mediocrity.

19 Comments:

Blogger Herr Vogler said...

My friend, you've not yet begun to synth score enough crappy movies!!!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 3:18:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Don't.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 3:39:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

You may have me beat on quantity, but I have far surpassed you in shitty, shitty quality.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 3:40:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

You can't out-shit me.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 3:49:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

We should have a running counter like in South Park.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 3:58:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

"Shitty-shitty fag fag, shitty-shitty fag fag..."

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 4:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Do I need to remind you what the current film I'm working on is called and that it just screams how bad it's going to be????

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 9:58:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

shitty

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 9:59:00 PM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

scheisse!

Thursday, October 19, 2006 3:30:00 AM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

Oh, and I don't even want to hear either of you leetle beechez gripe about having to do a "crappy" synth score again...just be greatful and happy you have a gig at all - paying or otherwise, m'kay! Some of us should only be so lucky! You don't want a crappy synth score gig, send 'em my way, I'll do it! :P

Oh, yeah...SHIT!!!

Thursday, October 19, 2006 6:06:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I am grateful, but I'm also greatful.


heheh

Thursday, October 19, 2006 10:57:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Shit (11), you're right. I should just be glad I get to do anything at all. A shitty (12) film score is better than working on a shitty (13) thesis. What I meant was, I would like for my work to be enjoyable to listen to on its own.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 12:19:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

You know what I mean. You're watching the movie thinking, "Holy shit (14), this music is AWFUL." ... when it may not be the music per se, but the quality of the synth.

Notice that I, unlike 97% of Americans, do not overuse/misuse the Latin per se. Only when it fits. Confounded pretentious pseudo-intellectuals... sorry, that's a pet peeve. It really stirs up my shit (15).

Thursday, October 19, 2006 12:22:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Let me try it this way:

If you score a B movie, using B synth sounds, you have a finished product that probably no one really wants to listen to. If you had fun doing it, that's great--maybe even enough of a reason to do it in the first place. But I need to consider only composing things that will beef up my portfolio. For now, at least, I feel pressured to make some seriously good music to make up for the time I wasted on my thesis.

On the other hand, I think it was FDR who said: "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." As long as I like the script, and I see a quality in the film that allows me to be creative and have a raucous good time, why not score it? Dan said he has a vested interest in me not sucking as a composer, since it's his movie, as well as possible future collaborations. How many filmmakers know a film composer with an M.M. who will work for free?

I'll just do my best.

Your best? Losers always whine about their best...

The Hollow surpasses by leagues the average college student-made indie film (and I know that's not saying much at all). I swear on Buddha's brazier that I will never score another cheap drama about an unwanted pregnancy. Two is enough for me. It's a lousy, feel-bad premise that is always the go-to script idea for people who have no talent, no resources, and have to resort to filming most of the movie in a dorm room. Just because you have a camera and a couple of theater majors with some down time doesn't mean you should make a movie.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:21:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Clearly I have some spite issues.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:22:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Or maybe it's called taste.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:22:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

No no no. Standards. That's what I have. Standards. There are three reasons to undertake a commission:

1) It pays. Duh.
2) It builds by portfolio. It demonstrates a new dimension or improved craftsmanship to prospective "employers" who may want a sample of my music.
3) It doesn't pay, but provides me with an enjoyable experience. People may not want to hear it, but I like it and find it worth my time. It's fun.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:31:00 PM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, October 20, 2006 6:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

Oh, and Brad, you're definately ful of something...hmm, smells like...shit!!!

Friday, October 20, 2006 6:58:00 AM

 

<< Home