Willow
I’ve always found it cumbersome that the commercial release of James Horner’s score to Willow was divided over only eight tracks:
1 Elora Danan (9:45)
2 Escape From the Tavern (5:04)
3 Willow’s Journey Begins (5:26)
4 Canyon of Mazes (7:52)
5 Tir Asleen (10:47)
6 Willow’s Theme (3:54)
7 Bavmorda’s Spell Is Cast (18:11)
8 Willow the Sorcerer (11:55)
When I finally made the time to sit down and break up these tracks, I discovered that they all appear in the film almost exactly as they do on the album, rendering this task almost pointless; I had thought that some of them were cut together from various points in the movie, but no.
Nevertheless, I decided they could still be broken down. I sat down with iTunes and my DVD player and took notes to see where things matched up, and came up with a new track list, which I re-cut onto CD and then ripped into iTunes (again). This does not, of course, account for the significant amount of music not released on the album. But this new track list is the next best thing to a bootleg of the complete/extended score. Bear in mind, all of these timings are approximations, so don't nail me on numerical incongruity.
I recommend cutting re-cutting the score as follows:
1 Willow Overture (3:58)
[Track 6; does not appear in film]
2 A Child Foretold (6:52)
[Track 1 from 0:00 to 6:51; 00:00:00 in the film]
3 Burglekutt the Prefect (1:08)
[Track 1 from 6:51 to 7:58; 00:06:51 in the film]
4 Kiaya and the Baby (1:51)
[Track 1 from 7:50 to 9:47; 00:07:50 in the film]
5 Willow’s Departure (2:43)
[Track 3 from 0:00 to 2:41; 00:21:05 in the film]
6 Nockmaar Search Party (0:40)
[Track 3 from 2:41 to 3:21; 00:24:52 in the film]
7 The Crossroads (2:08)
[Track 3 from 3:21 to 5:28; 00:25:31 in the film]
8 The Wagon Chase (5:08)
[Track 2 in its entirety; 00:48:54 in the film]
9 Nockmaar Soldiers (2:27)
[Track 4 from 0:00 to 2:26; 01:17:02 in the film]
10 Madmartigan’s Choice (3:10)
[Track 4 from 2:26 to 5:34; 01:19:28 in the film]
11 Sorsha and Madmartigan (2:20)
[Track 4 from 5:34 to 7:53; 01:22:27 in the film]
12 Raid On Tir Asleen (4:25)
[Track 5 from 0:00 to 4:23; 01:25:20 in the film]
13 The Two-Headed Beast (1:41)
[Track 5 from 4:23 to 6:02; 01:29:43 in the film]
14 Madmartigan’s Heroics (2:37)
[Track 5 from 6:02 to 8:38; 01:31:20 in the film]
15 Elora is Taken (2:12)
[Track 5 from 8:38 to 10:49; 01:33:45 in the film]
16 Bavmorda’s Castle (1:21)
[Track 7 from 0:00 to 1:19; 01:36:02 in the film]
17 ”You’re All Pigs!” (1:12)
[Track 7 from 1:19 to 2:30; 01:37:23 in the film]
18 Begin the Ritual (1:19)
[Track 7 from 2:30 to 3:48; 01:38:32 in the film]
19 Raziel Transforms (2:16)
[Track 7 from 3:48 to 6:04; 01:39:51 in the film]
20 Willow’s Plan (3:33)
[Track 7 from 6:04 to 9:36; 01:42:15 in the film]
21 The Siege Begins (2:45)
[Track 7 from 9:36 to 12:20; 01:45:50 in the film]
22 Cherlindrea’s Wand (2:52)
[Track 7 from 12:20 to 15:11; 01:48:47 in the film]
23 Airk’s Death / Madmartigan Defeats Kael (3:03)
[Track 7 from 15:11 to 18:13; 01:51:43 in the film]
24 The Greatest Sorcerer (3:08)
[Track 8 from 0:00 to 3:07; 01:54:30 in the film]
25 The Return Home (2:48)
[Track 8 from 3:07 to 5:53; 01:57:46 in the film]
26 End Credits (6:04)
[Track 8 from 5:53 to 11:57; 02:00:23 in the film]

3 Comments:
James Horner has said in interview that he prefers to write longer cues and then be able to play it up or down rather than let the guys on the dubbing stage decide.
Interestingly enough, the only score I have of his that is cut up a lot is Titanic. Very few tracks on the album appear in their form from the film. A good chunk of what winds up on his albums do so in the form they appeared in the film or, in the case of the big Aliens deluxe release, how he intended them to be.
word verification: hudita
Who dat?
Friday, February 12, 2010 3:07:00 PM
Well, I modeled this re-cut after the Complete Recordings of LotR and The Phantom Menace. It's convenient to keep them down to 1-3 minutes, because sometimes I want to hear a specific lick and don't want to hold my finger on the fastforward button for two minutes.
It's handy, and for some reason it makes me more inclined to actually sit through the whole score in one sitting, which I hardly ever used to do.
Friday, February 12, 2010 3:14:00 PM
Can I buy some pot from you?!
Friday, February 12, 2010 11:23:00 PM
<< Home