Kefka's Domain
Final Fantasy VI (1994) was the first of the series to branch out of the traditional medieval fantasy setting. Instead, it is set in a sort of “Neo-Victorian” steam age, a thousand years after a devastating conflict of mythical proportions known as the War of the Magi.
The setting is interesting, the story is compelling, the characters are more developed than in previous installments, and the music is memorably thematic and eclectic. The story and the music have more emotional depth than before, and it was the beginning of a new medium of storytelling.
I have also had an ongoing infatuation with the whole package that has recently been revived from dormancy. And an impetus I had many months ago (but of course never followed through on) came to the foreground:
For the past several days, I have been making transcriptions and arrangements of Nobuo Uematsu’s score to Final Fantasy VI.
This isn’t just a masturbatory “fan-boy” waste of time, though. I have already seen benefits of doing this project:
1) Keeping my Aural Skills sharp. Proving to myself that I do have something going for me.
2) Hammering out some technical problems and know-how in Logic that previously stymied my efforts in other projects.
3) Keeping myself from going insane with boredom and lethargy, taking my mind off of the pain.
But yes, it is ultimately an indulgence. It’s just plain fun, and it has put me in a good mood these says, and there’s something to be said for that.
I mostly want to stay “true to the originals,” because I was always slightly annoyed that the few orchestrations out there decide to “improve” the music by altering it, which is not always for the better. Mainly, the purpose of this project is to see what the original score would sound like with the Garage Band Symphonic Jam Pack, but I have also sketched a few original arrangements based on the themes. And the ones I do remake verbatim I take artistic license with a development and/or coda instead of just loop the whole piece and fade out, so it’s still a creative process of sorts.
There are three CDs’ worth of music, so it’s a huge endeavor if I end up trying to remake all of the cues plus my own inventions. But I have discovered a whole new level of control freakism—perhaps what Peter Jackson felt while he was bringing his youthful escapism to life. Except mine isn’t “to life.” It’s softsynth. Dang.
But it’s a lot of fun picking apart the components to a musical playground that actually contributed to my interest in becoming a composer. Gotta love leitmotifs. I remember, back in the day, thinking, “I wonder if someday video games will be fully cinematic?” Oh yeah, kiddo. We’re there. It’s a good time to be a composer.
So that’s what I’ve been doing lately.

13 Comments:
Sounds like fun.
Oh wait. I didn't mean that. Music is never supposed to be fun!!!
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:51:00 PM
Hmmm... that sounds familiar...
I think I know just the place for you...
It is fun. And nostalgic. In your case, perhaps I might recommend arranging your own Superman cues.
Yeah, I can hear every faculty member I've ever had (including Dr. Gooch from Truman) furrowing their brow, "Why would you want to spend your time on that?"
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:03:00 PM
This sounds like a really neat project! My sister is a fan of PianoSquall's arrangements of FF VIII through X music. Have you heard of this guy?
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:13:00 PM
The bgsu thing, that's awesome.
Arranging my own cues would be fun. Though Superman isn't necessarily how I'd roll; I'd be more inclined to do something like The Shadow or Basic Instinct which are, by-the-by, damned good pieces of music.
Then again there were bits of Dream Meditations that were little nods to Jerry, too.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:50:00 PM
Basic Instinct is good music, but I don't remember The Shadow. Bring it Saturday.
I have heard of Piano Squall, but I can't remember if I've heard him or just heard of him. I shared an office with Julio Appling and Rebecca Wunch, two mutual fans of FFVIII in particular.
Back in the day, I was a sponsor of Project Majestic Mix. What a waste. What a horrible, horrible, horrible waste.
Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:44:00 PM
I am re-titling all the arrangements, too. Mostly because I get tired of seeing 5 tracks with the same title on my iTunes playlist. Also, when the complete recordings for The Lord of the Rings came out, even the redundant tracks (material from the original CD releases) were renamed. Example: Foundations of Stone became Glamdring.
Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:51:00 PM
There you go throwing out stuff with no context. Now I have to ask, "Gosh. What was Project Majestic Mix?".
Oh, and I'll bring The Shadow.
Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:01:00 PM
I also still have that brass quintet arrangement floating around out there somewhere... kind of makes me want to get more performers who are willing to play game music...
Friday, March 28, 2008 1:00:00 AM
Project Majestic Mix was an awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful disappointment. Basically it was a collection of Final Fantasy arrangements made by fans for fans. The deal was that Stephen Kennedy, an over-aged fan boy with a recording studio basically had a fundraiser over a ridiculously long span of time (many, many delays of the "deadline") to produce the album. Contributors who were stupid enough to want to be a part of it (like me) were guaranteed a "Gold Edition"... which basically meant you got twice as many disappointments.
I find the whole ordeal quite embarrassing and embittering. I would disavow it if my name weren't included in the liner notes. Never ask me about it again.
Friday, March 28, 2008 1:07:00 AM
Dang it, I wish you could edit comments... I should mention two points:
First, it sounds more fishy than it was. The problem was getting around rights to use the music in the first place. That's where sponsorship came into effect. I don't know.
Second, I jumped on the bandwagon early on. Later... and later... and later still... things went down the crapper, and after getting pretty angry after... what, two years?... it was finally published. I was under the impression it was going to be live musicians... but, by and large, it was a badly mixed CD of arrangements that were actually inferior to the original sound fonts of the video games themselves. And too eclectic for its own good. And you don't take the saddest cues and make them into a dance rave. That's fucking retarded.
I was even nauseated by the product. I knew I could have done better. Hell, anyone reading this could have done better. What a disgrace.
I could have done better. I am doing better. The only thing worse than fan music is fan fiction.
[raises eyebrows and turns to face the Captain]
...Oh Captain? I suspect you have some choice words of amusing derision?
Friday, March 28, 2008 1:16:00 AM
Oh, you're just begging for it, aren't you?
But why hijack this post, when it so amusing and informative without “benefit” of my interjections?
Sunday, March 30, 2008 12:02:00 PM
Gah! Dammit! It puts my little cartoon face next to all of my comments. Now I look like a self-important asshole?
...
Oh.
Sunday, March 30, 2008 12:04:00 PM
Oh, and I adore the score to The Shadow. One of my favorites. Of course, I'd say that of most any Goldsmith score.
Sunday, March 30, 2008 12:06:00 PM
<< Home