Thursday, January 03, 2008

Big Ideas, Little Progress

A long time ago, I started outlining a massive project called Fantascapes. I composed a few pieces for it and then put it aside for months on end. Last month I got into it again, and I realized it was unnecessary to wait until its total completion to post about it again.

If I don’t post about my composing, no one knows I’m even being productive. They just have to take my word for it. But if I do post about every little piece I add to the portfolio, then it’s just annoying. And then people have progress markers to use as reference points to nag me later.

This paradox pisses me off.

Since Fantascapes was always meant to be an on-again, off-again project, I might as well just talk about its current state. Also, I’m losing steam on it and might not touch it for a while to come.

I really wanted to “finish” it (three or four full CDs worth of music) before posting the entire tracklist and times, but that’s not going to happen for a long time (if at all).

Basically, Logic won’t let me properly mix a file imported from Finale. It freaks out when I try to do that, because the MIDI source already has the “human playback” feature. And I have to make separate channels for standard bowing and tremolo strings, because I have nice patches for each and the MIDI tremolo data makes the regular string patch crap its pants. That’s only a little extra work, so whatever. If I can’t use the volume track automation, it sounds hackey and… well, MIDI.

Anyway, I’ve become very frustrated (AGAIN) by trying to import Finale into Logic and have decided to abandon Fantascapes in favor of something else. At the moment, I’m leaning towards Mantra: Volume One and/or Concerto for Tuba. Just in case you were going to ask.

Here’s what I have so far on Fantascapes, only not mixed to my satisfaction and therefore wouldn’t play it for you even if I could:

Prologue: A World of Legends [3:48]
Battle in the Fog [4:52]
Walled City [2:47]
A Pint in Each Hand [3:09]
Marketplace [2:58]
Temple of Saragis [1:51]
My Past, My Sorrow [4:44]

TOTAL (so far): [24:09]

Here, I’ll save you the trouble of posting the first comment:

So… what, you’re posting about something that isn’t done, and you’re not even talking about the material of the pieces? What’s the point? Do you want a cookie or something? It’s not finished ‘til it’s finished. And MIDI realizations don’t count for squat. If you’re not going to post the final recordings on your blog for us to listen to, and you’re not going to even describe the pieces, then what are we supposed to say about it?

You bastard. My point is that I have been doing something, and that it seems like everyone is wondering what I’m doing since I talk about composing but I never reveal what it is I’m working on. My point is that I’m moving on to another project, which hopefully I can talk more about later.

43 Comments:

Blogger the warrior bard said...

Just for the heck of it, here’s the “complete” tracklist of Fantascapes as it appears in my notes. Bear in mind that I could always add more or completely abort some pieces, but each of these already has a sound in my mind. Some of them are already more or less composed in shorthand. But not one of them is “done” and ready to put online.

Prologue: A World of Legends
Cobblestone Houses / Five Companions
The Open Frontier
Battle in the Fog
A Clue in the Shadows
Walled City
A Pint in Each Hand
Something Evil is Stirring
The Naga’s Chamber
The Scourge of Erafath
Crossing the White Plains
Gawani Forest
Woodland Villa
Windy Mountain Pass
Crypt of the Medusa Witch
Undead Berserkers
Kas Hoben, Southern Kingdom
Marketplace
The Tome of Spells
River Bank
Mushroom Cove
Temple of Saragis
Valley of an Ancient Battle
Hall of the Copper Dragons
Maze of Mirages
The Wyverns Attack
Deserted Village
Battling the Hill Giants
Kas Peran, Silver Kingdom
The Catacombs
The Face of Evil
My Past, My Sorrow
Cataclysm
Elegy for a Fallen Comrade
Bone and Sinew
Dracolich
High Priestess Jiinasa
Will We Be Forgotten?
The Dark Monolith Rises / Castle of the Damned
Sword and Sorcery
Exalted Deeds
Epilogue #1: Returning Home
Epilogue #2: A Hero’s Welcome
Epilogue #3: End of an Age
Epilogue #4: A New Villain is Born



…but you don’t get credit for big ideas.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 9:38:00 PM

 
Blogger -A said...

Wouldn't it be wonderful and terrible if there was a way to put a device on your head, meditate about the music, envision how it was supposed to be, play the sounds in your head, whatever, and the computer could play it back? and notate it? Probably it would still need revision at that point, but...what a potential...explosion of "composers" that would bring. Among other things.

Hey, I didn't pretend I was about to make sense.

My vote: tuba concerto. ;-)

Sunday, January 06, 2008 8:09:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

That would most certainly be a terrible thing... unless I was the only person who had one. ;)

At least with the tuba concerto I'm not hindered by mixing. It's settled.

Or maybe I can finally write that zombie opera the Captain suggested about two years ago.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 12:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Just thought I'd check in.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 4:40:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

There's always room for zombies. But they're not terribly practical.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 8:13:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Would the zombies use sprechstimme?

For crap's sake, look where this post is heading...

Sunday, January 06, 2008 10:26:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

"...I can finally write that zombie opera..."

The blame rests squarely on your shoulders.

This time.

Monday, January 07, 2008 3:05:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

No, actually, that was all your idea. Whatever happened to The Hollow: The Musical, by the way?

To be fair, one of my first blog posts ever was about a collaborative opera, Arthur, which fizzled out spectacularly due to the obvious pipe-dream-esque nature of the project and the logistics of two guys who live in different states collaborating but don't care enough about it to actually try to do it and have forgotten about it a long time ago.

Diagram that sentence. I dare you.

If we want to list all the embarrassing failures to launch, then... we could be here for a long time.

Monday, January 07, 2008 3:17:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I have a Word file full of potential projects to tackle. About two pages of titles and verbal analyses of the actual music. Some even have specific lengths. I know a few of you have the same kind of file, too. It's always a kick in the nuts when you open that file, isn't it? Ahhh, nut-kicks. Thanks, Ambition!

Monday, January 07, 2008 3:19:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Maybe tonight I'll just sit in my boxers and design drum loops until I cry myself to sleep. At least that would be an investment.

Monday, January 07, 2008 3:21:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Maybe you should sit in a room and build a robot to kick you in the nuts.

Monday, January 07, 2008 4:43:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Oooooooh... maybe.

Monday, January 07, 2008 4:58:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Would it look like Hilda?

Monday, January 07, 2008 4:59:00 PM

 
Blogger Starbuck said...

You know, I was almost tempted to start diagramming that sentence if only to keep myself from the disturbing comments to come.

Monday, January 07, 2008 5:04:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

They will come regardless of your attempts at deflection and redirection. This... is... BLOG.

Monday, January 07, 2008 5:53:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Now Logic crashes when I try to import my drum loops. WHYYYY?! Maybe I should just work on that zombie opera...

Fantascapes... Mantra... why can't I compose you?

Concerto for Tuba... it looks like it's just you and me now.

Monday, January 07, 2008 5:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Starbuck said...

Ooh, can I be the first red shirt to die in the zombie opera?

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:15:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Red shirt? As in... Star Trek... as in... the Kobayashi Maru... as in... previous blog post Choose Your Own Adventure... as in... the Kobayashi Maru slipping something into your drink...

No, no, no, that's not going to work at all. Keep it about the zombies, man. Don't complicate things. The Kobayashi Maru can have its own opera...

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 12:15:00 PM

 
Blogger Starbuck said...

Uhm, ok...I was really just using it as a generic term. Fine, then. Can I be an unnamed zombie in the chorus? Fake Shemp #2 perhaps?

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:47:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

How about if you write the libretto. And the Captain can be in charge of casting. Heck, he can direct the whole thing. And the Pikey can compose it. And I'll just attend the performance.

I think I'd rather write and compose The Marriage of the Kobayashi Maru.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 2:19:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Better yet, how about The Marriage of the Kobayashi Maru and the Weird Shapeshifting Chick/Thing from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country?

Is it a man? Is it a woman? What is the Kobayashi Maru? Is it an object? Does it print money? Is it the Sampo (look it up)?

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 4:05:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

"Hey, I sure wouldn't mind getting me some more of that Arcturian poontang! Remember that time?"
"Yeah Frost, except the one you had was male."
"It doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, baby!"

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 10:30:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

At least the comments thread of this post is proceeding well.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:48:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Timmay.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:27:00 AM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

And scene.

The first scene.

The first scene in The Zombie Horde vs the Kobayashi Maru, the new opera written and produced by none of the people that read this blog!

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:00:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Zombie Horde? Or perhaps... Zombie HORSE??

The Zombie Horse vs. The Kobayashi Maru

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:20:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Back on topic, I've still been "productive" with music lately. I actually have a track bounced for Mantra. Wow, a whole piece of music. Yip. A mediocre gamelan-techno piece that is meant for dialogue music rather than foreground attention. Where's my cookie?

It does help that I finally have an actual music stand to set my papers on. Makes the keyboarding process a lot easier. 'n stuff.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:26:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Try this on for size:

A zombie opera. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over the top. Starts out baroque as humanly possible. Grand Guignol. A phantasmagoria. Set in Tim Burton's opium den.

A couple of scenes in, we are introduced to our protagonists - the denizens of the sleepy town of Casper's Bend.

That's when we take a right turn in musical style, into the most insipid and derivative (but clever and catchy) Broadway musical ever.

Then back to the dark brooding apocalyptic overscale opera. As the production progresses the two styles begin to merge. They begin merging, in fact, as our hero is bitten and begins turning into a zombie. His journey reveals that the zombies aren't all groaning and shambling, they feel to. And they need to dance.

Or... at least he does.

And the show stopping number? A Chorus of Corpses.

But I have no idea how you'd blend those styles. But it'd be grand.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:32:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

And its title?

Zombie!

Jazz hands.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:34:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Oh, and gamelan-techno?

When can I buy the album.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:36:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I hope I am conveying the sense of disappointment (bordering on disgust) regarding how my digital world instruments fall short of the standards and expectations of my mind's ear.

We're all so used to hearing the highest-caliber, professionally-mixed CDs of today's recording technology. Nothing sounds that good without thousands and thousands of dollars, a team of sound technicians scuttling around, the best and brightest performers from around the world, and an arsenal of hardware. We composers all know this, yet we are continually disappointed in our products.

Anyway, I'll continue to screw around with the features in Logic that I don't use much until I can fudge my way into a decent-sounding sonic realm.

Ain't music fun?

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:39:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

The gamelan bells sound good, and the tabla sounds are pretty sweet. I just hate digital reed instruments. I think I've posted about that before.

Once or tw(elve)ice.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:41:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Maybe Herr Vogler should write Zombie!

I'm still interested in The Hollow: The Musical. Stop evading.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:42:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Are you saying that I'm the only person that can cross styles that easily and with that much kitsch? I don't know whether I should feel insulted.

Besides, I'm working on my opera chronicling how Jim Kirk beat the Kobayashi Maru as a student at Starfleet Academy.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 2:38:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Will the Kobayashi Maru opera be in German?

If so, you'll have to have scores of milk filled glasses just offstage.

Very phlegmmy, that language is.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 3:14:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

The Hollow: The Musical... if I recall, that was your brother's idea.

I know nothing of it.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 3:14:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I'm thinking it'll be like Einstein on the Beach; the libretto will be numbers and solfeggio.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 3:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Oooh, that gives me an idea!

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 3:37:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Einstein on the Beach is the worst piece of music ever composed. Ever. By anyone.

But then, you knew that would be my reaction.

Eat the corn out of my shit.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 5:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I did know that would be your reaction.

Still it's amazing to me that you can say that when you so wholeheartedly embrace so much of Karl Jenkins' music. Is it not also highly repetitive? Does it not also utilize the same kind of (ridiculously) simple harmonic language?

What exactly is it that puts you off so much about it? Is it that you actually believe it's dreck? Or is it rather the association it's been given by others and it conjures the same feelings for you that Cage does because it was shoved down your throat so unwillingly? (Diagram that sentence)

It's superlatives like "worst" and "ever" about a venerated, if controversial, musical work that make people think, despite your protestations to the contrary, that you have a narrow musical bandwidth.

Besides, I think if we're contending for musical worst, ever I would have to throw Graeme Revell's name in the ring for him. Now that's garbage.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 6:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Additionally, like it or not, most of the music you love owes an immeasurable debt to the music of Philip Glass and Steve Reich.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 6:11:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Philip Glass and Steve Reich have their moments. And I know which of my favored pieces of music pay homage to that. And it doesn't bother me in the least. Why? Because those pieces are improvements on their techniques.

"It's superlatives like "worst" and "ever" about a venerated, if controversial, musical work that make people think, despite your protestations to the contrary, that you have a narrow musical bandwidth."

No, it's superlatives like those that inform the reader that they should be amused.

Sometimes you forget that I have the same fucking degree as you.

Two deflections. Now, to answer your question:

Einstein on the Beach irritated me from the beginning--long before the association you speak of could have possibly taken root in the resentful part of my brain. There's one simple, incontrovertible reason I hate that piece: It's fucking annoying. That's it. Purely subjective. I just don't like it. It makes my teeth hurt. It has nothing to do with the harmonic language; it's the "solfeggiation." Yes, Karl Jenkins even used that "solfeggiation," and I hate those pieces too.

Also, it seems that Philip Glass himself doesn't expect you to listen to the whole thing at once. A five-hour opera with no intermission? Even the composer said the idea was to let people come and go as they please--a liberal innovation, to be sure. But what that says to me is: "Well, any time you have to get up to take a shit, just go. Therefore, any moment of this so-called opera is just as entertaining as taking a shit. Oh, and I hope you like numbers. Enjoy."

That's why I hate it. And yes, I have heard more than a 2-minute clip of it.

I like some of Philip Glass's stuff and I like some of Steve Reich's stuff. Stop making me look like a bigot. Remember, you and I went to a Reich concert together, and I liked 50% of it. Remember that.

I just don't like Einstein on the Beach.

End of discussion.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 7:24:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

In closing, I have started working on Mantra instead of Fantascapes. So far, I have one track bounced and three more in the making. I probably won't be very quick about it, but I have a good start. As far as concert music goes, the tuba concerto is always in the back of my mind. I just have too much to do with my time as it is. But I'm doing what I can, avoiding laziness. I work on music about three hours a day, which hasn't yielded that much in the way of results, but a lot of that is spent tinkering.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 7:33:00 PM

 

<< Home