Monday, December 31, 2007

Always On the Move

The new trend seems to be that I’m meeting a lot of NPCs lately. It’s like I’ve turned my attention away from waiting for the fruits of what I’ve tried to build with Metro and life group, instead just bumbling around on misadventures and relating to total strangers. Come what may.

"You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I’ve ever had."

Thursday, after only the third time being served by a particular server at Baja 600, Dean and I later found ourselves hanging out with her and her roommates at Granfalloon’s after her shift. We were invited to a staff party (wtf?) the following night, but were unable to go.

Josh Kalichman came in late Friday night for the International House of Prayer convention downtown. (I should mention that I have been getting over a cold since Christmas, which sheds a surreal and irresponsible light on going out Thursday night.) So I was hanging out with Dean that night, as he lives fairly close to KCI, and we went to his gym to spar. Both of us were still a little sick, so the handicap was fair. After about an hour of beating the shit out of each other, we decided to not do that anymore. These two guys came in and talked to us for a while about different styles and interests. One guy was a wrestler and the other was a Marine. Dean exchanged phone numbers with them for future recruitment purposes. More interesting NPCs.

All week I’ve been in and out of the convention center. Saturday night I had already planned to meet Dean and his brother at Brooksider to see a series of UFC fights while Josh was still downtown (and would meet us there later via metro link). This one dude Jason offered to share his table and the four of us ate and drank together until midnight.

Sunday at lunch, the entire Quizno’s patronage was wearing red wristbands from the convention and this one 16-year-old aspiring guitarist from Minnesota sat with us for lack of chairs.

Josh and I ran into a fellow composer from BG at the convention center. How do you just “run into” an old classmate from another time zone in a sea of 10,000 heads?

There were other, more minor examples, but the gist of it is that I don’t know where I’m going but I’m on the move, and it’s at least mildly interesting. This is all a big distraction, but it does contribute to the attitude of unpredictability when you’re searching for something. But searching for what? I don’t know. I really need to buy a strategy guide.

"Always on the move."
--Obi-Wan Kenobi

Weekend Listening List:
Transformers (Steve Jablonsky)
Black Hawk Down (Hans Zimmer)
Spy Game (Harry Gregson-Williams)

0 Comments:

<< Home