The Unifying Force
Having started Vector Prime one year ago, I finally finished The Unifying Force, the final novel in the epic saga, The New Jedi Order. What a ride. This dark, nineteen-book series truly rewards readers by uniting the continuity of all the previous Expanded Universe stories. All characters, previous events, races, and planets contribute their threads to the ingenious tapestry of The New Jedi Order, which transfigures the New Republic as well as the Jedi and their understanding of the Force.
Written by committee, the series witnesses exponential character development, as well as some of the most awe-inspiring cataclysmic events, jaw-dropping plot twists, and gloriously Corellian one-liners I’ve ever seen. Having accomplished the feat of reading The New Jedi Order, I elevate my Star Wars buffdom to Emperor status. I mean, there’s a lot of story to tell. And it took me about the past eight years to catch up.
Obviously, having read the entirety of this series during my second year of grad school, the Yuuzhan Vong invasion will forever be associated by parallel with my own personal war at BGSU. Now that I’m finished with the last of The New Jedi Order, I feel one last bit of relief from the conflict. I suppose that’s why I found this post to be blog-worthy.
Other than that, there’s no reason for me to post this. The few reading this who are into the Star Wars books don’t need my review to encourage them, and the people who aren’t into this… well, they will never comprehend how incredible The New Jedi Order really is. I’ll tell you this: it’s at least as emotionally engrossing and well-told as any other story ever made. Why? Because a veritable Rogue Squadron of writers got together and committed to George Lucas’ idea of a Hero with a Thousand Faces. And, of course, they got the green light from George on everything that happens therein. It’s just… well, you’d have to read it yourself. Heh heh… if you have the time and the inclination… if you have a few years to kill, start with Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter and work your way through the timeline from there.
As for me... on to other readings! Perhaps, before I continue in the Star Wars universe, I will take a sabbatical and read The Lord of the Rings. I could start with The Hobbitt and finish with The Silmarillion. Or, I could simply not read anything for a while, opting to devote more time to playing video games and watching DVDs. It’s only a matter of time before someone hooks me on Battlestar Galactica. I must be cautious.

4 Comments:
the "timeline" link didn't work. also, good timing on the post. i'm actually in the market for a new series and would be more than happy to devote countless hours/day/weeks/years to something that would kick my ass (in a good way.)
so please, guide me, my master.
Monday, August 28, 2006 4:37:00 PM
Heh heh heh heh... GOOOOOOD!
Well, just type in www.jedinet.com and go to the timeline.
In truth, some of the books (such as Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight) are interminably dull, and aren't necessarily worth reading in my opinion. However, for continuity, everything that happens is important later, so if you aren't that sold on the idea of reading a crapload of books, I can point out which ones to skip, and you can read the "cliff's notes"...
There's a book called The New Essential Chronology, which reads like a history textbook. It summarizes everything, so you can read that just to know what happens, but if you read too much you might accidentally read something that gives away one of the books that you do want to read.
I have also read some of the comics... mostly just the Clone Wars series, Republic. They were put into 8 bound volumes, and they follow the exploits of Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda, Quinlan Vos, Aayla Secura, Asajj Ventress, and Aurra Sing, among others.
I guess that's a start for you! In the meantime, I think I might go ahead and impulse-buy Firefly and Serenity.
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:36:00 PM
Fan-bloody-tastic!!!
Serenity and Firefly are both excellent choices, sir! Hardly an impulse buy.
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:47:00 PM
I just finished Over There. An amazing show... too bad it was cancelled after only 13 episodes. But at least you aren't left hanging. I mean, it ended reasonably satisfactorily. I guess they knew they were about to be cancelled and tied a few things up.
Great show.
Thursday, August 31, 2006 10:16:00 PM
<< Home