Forging the Holocron
As I mentioned some time ago, Finale 2006 will not recognize files older than 2004—which is retarded. I had to open every single file from my zip disks in the music lab, save them in Finale 2004, then burn a CD of the data. I had to do it before I left town for two reasons: the lab has Finale 2004 (duh), which I need as a middle-man; the lab is one of three locations on this continent where the archaic zip drive can still be found. The second location of the legendary zip drive is in a distant land, where only the bravest would venture—I think it’s Omaha, Nebraska. The third location is more of a rumor than anything else—if you can find it, you have to pass three deadly obstacles before you are granted access to the zip drive, and even then you can’t carry it past the seal.
Anyway, I finally quit procrastinating and did it. I also printed a copy of every single thing as I went along, just for insurance (in case I would have to reenter entire files). I tell you, I had to smuggle that huge beast of a paper pile out in my backpack. Fortunately, the lab workers never pay attention, never wonder why the printer is always whirring. There’s a sign that forbids printing more than one copy of a file, to intimidate students into preserving paper and not molesting the privilege of potentially unlimited, free printing. Technically, I didn’t break any rules… I did only print one copy of everything. Of everything. I didn’t break any rules, I just peed all over them.
I’ve been in a slump all week, but now I actually did something constructive. Now, back to my regularly scheduled lethargy.

0 Comments:
<< Home