Saturday, November 08, 2008

Windfall

Once in a great while, the gods smile upon you.

Very rarely do they ever release complete recordings of scores for purchase. Almost as rarely do they leak bootlegs of those unreleased complete recordings. Sometimes these bootlegs are in the form of “promotional” scores, sometimes they are “DVD rip” scores (i.e. pretty sketchy quality), and sometimes they are actually what you want: every cue that was recorded before being edited into the final cut of the film.

Google all you want, but you won’t find bootleg scores so easily. You have to do some serious digging and cross-referencing. And even then, the source will end up being some pirate who is charging more than what the stores would have charged anyway. It might technically be illegal, but it’s hardly unethical, considering the fact that these scores are unattainable commercially. So yeah, I guess that makes me a pirate, but I would gladly pay for these scores if they were actually released. Besides, I worked darn hard to find them.

I now have—at no cost—the legendary three-disc complete score to Kingdom of Heaven, the three-disc score to Gladiator, and the brief but magnificent original score to Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

Actually, Gladiator and The Force Unleashed weren’t all that hard to find. The original music for TFU (not the John Williams stuff taken from the movies), totaling less than half an hour, is posted on tracksounds.com for playing, but not for download. For a while, I would go there whenever I wanted to hear it, but I have been quite frustrated by the fact that it wasn’t for download. Frustrated, that is, until I found the real deal here.

Say what you will about the retarded and convoluted plot twist in the story, but the music is stellar. Mark Griskey should have done The Clone Wars, but instead we got Kevin Kiner. Anyway, I’m just here to spread the wealth. Download The Force Unleashed and enjoy!

The three-disc Kingdom of Heaven score is the real treasure, because I have wanted it very badly for a couple of years now, yet had resigned myself to the fact that it did not exist. But I have it now. However, because the download process was almost as complicated as the hunting itself, I can’t just give you a link to it. But I have it now. I have it.

It’s Christmas in November. Seriously, I haven’t been this excited about an aural acquisition since last November, when The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: The Complete Recordings was released commercially. You don’t know how long I’ve been looking for this.

And now I have it. It’s mine. My own… myyy preciousss…

8 Comments:

Blogger the warrior bard said...

Add Spider-Man 3 to that list now, too.

Saturday, November 08, 2008 8:35:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

And Equilibrium. Finally.

It's the mother lode!

Man, now I have to clear some space on my hard drive again. I guess some things will have to just be on data CDs instead of iTunes.

Saturday, November 08, 2008 11:00:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

And I just found an mp3 CD Herr Vogler made for me a while ago that includes Steamboy. It's pretty tasty.

And now I'm out of hard drive space again and my computer isn't going to run right.

Well, it turns out Equilibrium is nowhere near as good as I remembered it, so guess who's getting the axe.

Sunday, November 09, 2008 2:21:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I don't need you guys. I can just keep posting these little addenda by myself.

It's dark in here...

Sunday, November 09, 2008 2:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Let's not forget about the two-disc score for The Dark Knight that's being released early next month!

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:56:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I'm definitely going to have to pick that one up. I wish there was more of a market for complete/extended recordings. I guess that's when you know the film is really popular. Yes, that's right, I said film, not score. Because the hugely successful films always get the 2-disc score albums.

Word verification: troutpi

Um... is that a euphemism?

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:34:00 AM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

What's actually in that Dark Knight release next month? Anyone found any details?

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:37:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

All I was able to find is the track listing on Amazon. Disc one appears to be the same as the commercial release.

word verification: styintim

Don't go out, Tim!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:41:00 AM

 

<< Home