Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Bard Triumphant

Gordman’s picked me up for part-time, low-pay, no-benefits, seasonal (temporary) work. Just… like I… um, wanted.

The Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum at Washington University emailed me, telling me that they are hiring again and asking if I’m still interested. They want to have the position filled by Monday, so… tick-tock. Maybe I can have two part-time jobs at once. Two jobs? Sounds good, huh? If I hear the expression “feast or famine” one more time, I’m going to punch someone in the nuts. Where’s the feast? I’m starving.

At least my family won’t bug me as much now. Not for a while, at least. But what happens at the end of January? And in the mean time, my free time will still be devoted to job-hunting. So I have… let’s say mixed feelings about being hired.

Despite my reservations, at least this is something. The important thing is that I won’t be “unemployed” anymore, so maybe I can begin to scrub that negative stigma off. It’s like a tattoo, a blight, a disfigurement. And it’s embedded pretty deep after eleven months. On a purely cosmetic level, this is a “good day.”

”Now, if I can just find a midget with some gin, I’ll be in business.”

20 Comments:

Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I heard that the Pikey pisses gin, but you can only drink from the bottle.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:03:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Word verification: suckl

It's an omen, I tell you.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:01:00 AM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

It's scotch damnit!!! Only fruits n' weirdos drink gin...

...and I do give free samples.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:35:00 AM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Congrats on being able to disturb me most thoroughly in just three comments.

Word verification: ovello

A version of Shakespeare's Othello performed entirely by Dracula's?

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:56:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Performed by Dracula's what?

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:46:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Dracula's errant apostrophe.

Word verification: pansing

The ancient European art of publicly shaming one's compatriots.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:42:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Word verification: chafferi

According to Merriam-Webster...

1 : (plural, archaic) those who take repeated helpings of gin from the pikey's bottle, thus causing chafing

We can get much more disturbing, mon Capitan.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

Ok, seriously I'm man enough to admit it's not really a bottle, more like a flask. But still...free test sips for all!

AND IT'S FUCKIN' SCOTCH I TELL YA!!! WHAT DO I LOOK LIKE - A TOTAL QUEEN?!

word verification - slyzedu

seems...oddly appropriate somehow.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:48:00 AM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Slyzedu? Did someone let the Lucas kids in here again?

Oh yeah, congrats on finding the half job that you don't hate (yet). And good luck on landing the other half. Mismatch, like my socks today.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:38:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Slyzedu was Enkidu's nickname in high school basketball.

By the way, I already hate the job. And do you know why? It's not because of pride or a bad attitude on my part, no, no. It's not because I am not "cut out" for customer service. Quite the opposite...

I hated the job before I even applied. During my application, mostly. It was one of those you-have-to-fill-this-whole-stupid-form-and-questionnaire-out-in-the-store applications, which gave me 45 whole minutes to observe my potential coworkers, and the tension was palpable, bordering on outright hostility. As the good Captain says, "Work is work. No job is that bad. It's the people who fuck it up."

The other reason I hate it is because I never wanted to even apply there in the first place; it was an act of desperation to get my family to ease up on me. Just to tell them that I had applied there. Incidentally, I'm a little confused that their questionnaire was a VERBATIM copy of JC Penney's, yet JC Penney told me I "failed the test" whereas Gordman's told me I scored a 99/100. That, as Lewis Black says, is a BIG... FUCK... DIFFERENCE.

And now the family is a little too happy about it, like it's an answered prayer or something. No, this job is just a tourniquet. Nothing more.

And yes, a tourniquet "stops the bleeding," but usually results in the loss of the limb. Think about that.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:25:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I am so fucking pissed off at my family you have no idea.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:26:00 AM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Yeah, I was told by Brookstone that I didn't pass my are-you-a-fucking-nut test, so I ended up getting a job in their warehouse. I worked there for a day and quit. It was a shithole.

Three months later, taking the same exact test, I was hired to staff their call center (the job which I was turned down for originally).

Aptitude/personality tests are a joke. Another way to guilt-free filter applicants.

Word verification: drizinil

Sounds like a prescription medication for runny nose.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:00:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Work is work. No job is that bad. It's the people who fuck it up.

Did I really say that? That's wise, that is.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:13:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

You said that a long time ago, on the phone when I was living in Stonewood Apartments, and it stuck with me. Because it's true. So... painfully... true.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:26:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Well, it may not be 100% true. I'm pretty sure if you're job involves cleaning up shit... well, people may make it worse, but how much?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:41:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Cleaning up shit can pay pretty well. Unless you're working in an elderly care center.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:49:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Yeah well, $7.35 an hour isn't enough to motivate anyone for very long. In some states, minimum wage is higher than that. For the holidays, that's a crime. Almost as much of a crime as being laid off for last year's holidays. I'm sorry, I require at least $9 an hour to extract the humbug from my rectal cavity.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:55:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

What I meant was that minimum wage in Missouri is $6.50, but in several states that was upped by over a dollar as of this summer, so even though it's technically higher than minimum wage HERE it still sucks. A lot. So much so that the boss nearly grimaced when she told me that. "Now, I must warn you that the pay is..."

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:59:00 PM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

And now, for your entertainment, and courtesy of one Rob Halford, I present to you...

...a parable:

There I was completely wasting
Out of work and down
All inside it's so frustrating
As I drift from town to town
Feels though nobody cares
If I live or die
So I might as well begin
To put some action in my way...

BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW
BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW
BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW
BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW

So much for the golden future
I can't even start
I've had every promise broken
There's anger in my heart
You don't know what it's like
You don't have a clue
If you did you'd find yourself
Doin' the same thing too...

BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW
BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW
BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW
BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIIIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKEEEE!!!!!


word verification - deckshe

What Tim would do to me if he saw me after reading this I imagine.

Friday, November 14, 2008 4:07:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I remember when a few of my high school friends were in my car when this song came on and we cut donuts in the gravel in front of the truck stop. Sweet.

Friday, November 14, 2008 9:46:00 AM

 

<< Home