Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Down with the Machines

I exchanged the portable hard drive for another one of a different brand, and I had the same problem. Unless there’s some magical driver out there that I don’t know about, I’m done. I took the second portable hard drive back to Best Buy for store credit. If only they had good printers there… alas, now I have $90 in store credit that I can’t in good conscience spend on anything else.

I deleted my Giga Fonts, which amounted to 3 gigabytes. Three gigabytes… of Giga Fonts… that I can’t use anyway, and I still have them on data CDs in my desk. Nothing’s built to last anymore. So, in another year or two, this computer is going to be next to useless. I’ve only had it for three years! We’re slaves to this kind of crap, no matter how anti-materialistic we think we are. I don’t want a PS3 and a new TV to keep up with the Joneses, I want to use the crap I’ve had for a long time already! So much of life is wasted on maintenance, and life is not backwards-compatible. Just look at my Scooby-Doo necktie.

I also deleted several albums from iTunes to free up some space for future needs. It was hard to let anything go, because the whole point of having them on iTunes is to have a solid archive. Even if I don’t listen to it, I might need it for reference. Brahms was the first to go, followed shortly by a few symphonies of Mozart and Mahler. Ouch. I watched several film scores disappear into nothingness, one by one, like various abilities the sorceress Ultimecia so casually wipes out in the final battle of Final Fantasy VIII. That sucked. There’s something inherently creepy about time compression and the void beyond. Wait, what was I talking about? Oh right, Metal Gear Solid 4.

Dave has it on PS3… but it’s a one-player game… eh, I’m cool with watching someone else play MGS4 once a week. I just have to know what happens. No… that wasn’t what I was talking about. Ah, yes, the war against the machines. What blog post is this, anyway?

Personally, I think casting Christian Bale as John Connor is brilliant. Ever since the teaser came out for Terminator Salvation, I’ve been a little too excited. It’s just like with The Dark Knight: the teaser comes out a year before the movie, so I spend every day of that year pining for it. A pre-planned trilogy of the Future War? Come on, that’s what I’ve been demanding for the past four years now! It’s going to be awesome. The nay-sayers will have their day, and when they do, I will have a few words for them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Herr Vogler said...

"Tell him about the Twinkie."

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:06:00 AM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

"What about the Twinkie?!"

Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:18:00 AM

 

<< Home