Global Threat
”The communications disruption can mean only one thing: invasion.”
As of Saturday morning, I firmly believe that my cell phone is possessed by the vengeful spirit of Cary Grant. Most of my calls, whether incoming or outgoing, consist of total silence. I can’t even listen to voicemails. Sometimes I get through, so I know it’s not the earpiece and it’s not on mute or something stupid like that. I have no idea what the problem is. Dead-actor-spirit-possession is the only reasonable explanation.
The point is that nobody should even bother calling me until I get this figured out.
And nobody knows why my portable hard drive won’t read. Best Buy, the Apple store… all the king’s horses and all the king’s men can’t figure out why. It will read fine on any other computer, so I’ll have to check for updates or something. I have no more space on my laptop, so I neeeeeeeed it to work ASAP.
iMiss my iPod, too. It stopped working in October. It was a great amenity, one you take for granted until you can no longer design playlists for jogging or sorting jelly beans (the purple ones are nasty). Yeah, nothing like an iPod to show how antisocial you are. Nobody tries to talk to you with headphones on. Sometimes that doesn’t work, though, and they ask, “What are you listening to?” So you just respond, “I’m deaf.”
Nothing works. Some of these things you can’t live without. For example, even the CDR someone gave me of The Dark Knight is skippy. It even ripped that way onto iTunes, so I just deleted it until I buy the real thing from Best Buy.
There is a connection.
The machines… it’s the machines… they are finally going to make their move. All this time I had been gearing up for a zombie apocalypse, but I forgot about the real threat.
”Skynet has become self-aware. In one hour it will initiate a massive nuclear attack on its enemy.”
The zombies aren’t what wipe us out—they never were. My fears were misplaced. It may be too late for me, but you can still save yourselves. In case this is my last transmission, I have one final command: never stop fighting. Keep the resistance alive. Always remember the human spirit. Remember me.

12 Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:15:00 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:18:00 PM
Terminator was wrong. It wasn't a nuclear attack that obliterated mankind.
It was a zombie plague.
Zombies were the prototype: a machine that doesn't feel pain or remorse. It's just kills. And never stops until you put a bullet in its brain pan.
The zombies whittled our numbers down. They broke our spirit. They forced us to deplete our resources.
Then the machines came.
They walked with impunity amongst the dead. No tissue. No brains. No liabilities.
They'll finish what the living dead started.
Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:20:00 PM
So I was right... only half right.
Like the Captain always says, "The thing about paranoia is that you only have to be right once."
I'm like the eccentric oracle who turns out to have it all together, thus offering the best hope of survival, but then gets screwed over by the main character's actions halfway through the film. That's me.
Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:36:00 PM
Might I add...
Unless humanity can find a way. A way to turn the slave... against its master.
Now that's a Terminator sequel I'd fucking watch. Twice.
Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:01:00 PM
Think of it... it's possible in any one of the many futures the actions of characters within the Terminator universe have created.
I smell a graphic novel "re-imagining".
Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:04:00 PM
Terminator vs. Evil Dead?
I still like my idea of Aliens vs. Home Alone.
Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:41:00 PM
I like them both. Though one is more viable as a property... but which one is it?
And whatever you guess, I'll switch the answer. You're doomed to have your choice rewarded with failure.
Friday, July 25, 2008 9:45:00 AM
Are you Julio?
Friday, July 25, 2008 12:07:00 PM
Phix your phone and phind out.
Friday, July 25, 2008 1:49:00 PM
Well, I need my dad to go in with me to the US Cellular place, since I'm on a shared plan under his name, so I can't get a new phone until probably Tuesday or Wednesday.
That means no Friday-night phone harassment for you, Captain. You have the weekend off. Instead, I'll just give you a prompt for a hilarious postulation:
Would the human flesh of the T-800s be infected by zombieism? From there, we would somehow get on the subject of how FOX News would cover the future war, and how somehow it would all be Maggie Gyllenhaal's fault.
Friday, July 25, 2008 2:21:00 PM
And now my printer is possessed by the malignant spirit of Jonathan Brandis. There’s no reason for the weird crap it’s doing, and I think the only solution is to buy a new printer. I’m seriously considering that scene in Office Space. You know the one. I need a baseball bat for some retribution, gangsta-style.
Is nothing built to last anymore, or am I just that lucky?
So the solution is… buy a new phone, buy a new printer, and buy a new portable hard drive, and pray to the Fonz that they work?
Yeah, I’m gonna need another stimulus check.
Fonzie be praised.
Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:32:00 PM
<< Home