Gotham City
My first winter in Kansas City, I began a Word file of composition ideas, a running priority list ranging from imminent and imperative to hypothetical and improbable. Around that time, the Captain was telling me about an idea he had for an animated vignette for the legend of Batman.
The thing about Batman is, the legend is so big that it can be reimagined in so many ways, so many different styles, and you always have your personal notions of what it should be.
We talked about the idea of an ongoing CGI television series simply titled Gotham City. My take on it was this: if you're going to do Batman, go all out. Make the entire Gotham universe.
Like this:
1) The overall look should be extremely gothic and Neo-Victorian or Steampunk or whatever word evokes the imagery of a place with nasty-looking points on every building top and a de-saturated color palette that is mostly grays and bronzes.
2) Batman works alone. No Robin. Maybe Robin is killed in the opening scene of the pilot episode, just to set the tone. And there’s no such thing as Batgirl. Don’t be stupid.
3) All the villains are out there simultaneously (we’re talking 30+), but most of them work alone and spend a long time licking their wounds after Batman thwarts their plans, so they spend a great deal of time plotting in secret while another villain happens to take the limelight. So Batman is pretty much working nonstop keeping them at bay, but the villains hardly ever die. And apparently Arkham Asylum is easy to escape from.
4) The series lasts about six seasons, which allows for some good planning ahead, giving each season a different unique arc. But if you are going to kill off a villain permanently, you shouldn’t have to wait for May sweeps to do it in the finale. Keep the viewers guessing.
5) Although you include re-imaginings of obscure villains like Copperhead and Professor Hugo Strange, the Joker must absolutely always be considered the arch-nemesis.
6) Occasionally, villains even fight each other, when it’s in their best interests. The enemy of your enemy isn’t necessarily your friend. But sometimes they might team up. Rarely.
7) Batman isn’t even in every episode. Sometimes it’s all about the villain beating the other villain or framing them, sometimes it’s from the point of view of Commissioner Gordon, sometimes it’s from the point of view of a reporter who gets too curious. It’s Gotham City’s story, and Batman just happens to be a prominent character.
8) Two-Face is the only villain who develops over time. Harvey Dent is Bruce Wayne’s buddy for the first two seasons or so before his metamorphosis, but other than that, everyone’s there from the get-go. No origin stories needed—that’s what flashbacks are for. Just BOOM—first episode and you’re in the thick of it. Oh, and Clayface is the focus of the pilot episode, not the Joker… not yet.
9) Yes, Catwoman and Poison Ivy could have a hinted romance with Batman. It’s canon. Use it carefully. Batman is a tragic figure and he has lots of demons, so any love story should be even darker than the crime drama surrounding it.
10) Mr. Freeze is modeled after and voiced by Patrick Stewart.
11) Did I mention this universe is dark?
12) The Batmobile looks almost organic, in a sickeningly thorny way.
13) Halloween is like three episodes long every season.
14) Batman’s outfit is solid black, no blues or grays. His cape should be drawn to be exaggerated in length, always seeming to spread out on the ground in an outward circle from his feet, and should give him a gaunt look when he’s standing still… and the points on his hood are also slightly exaggerated in length.
15) Absolutely no crossovers, cameos, or even subtle references to other DC heroes or villains. There is no Metropolis.
I could flesh this out more, but aren’t you getting tired of these long blog posts?
I should be a producer. I can come up with concepts, handpick other people to do the actual work, and throw the studio’s money at them. Dude, it would be awesome.
Anyway, this new take on Batman inspired me last winter. I started coming up with ideas for a demo score, a project I added to my ever-growing list. It’s unfeasible, and not even fun anymore. Oh, it was fun to come up with track titles for character pieces and incidental cues, but if I actually had the technological capacity to produce this in the grand scope I envision with my mind’s ear, I would be better off putting that effort into something else. I mean, each of these cues would have been a serious effort to write something compositionally nuanced and complicated, not just the obvious angle of the already-too-commercialized “trailer music” sound of Ramin Djawadi or something.
My Gotham City was very different indeed. For example, some of my score models were Hellboy (Marco Beltrami), Alien 3 (Elliot Goldenthal), and Reign of Fire (Edward Shearmur). Going by those examples, the score would be bold and nasty at times, subdued and intricate at others.
It was a big idea and a fun concept to toy with. I thought I’d post about it to get rid of it. Not that I’m posting here as a “kiss of death” (since any unfinished idea I blog about seems to get axed), no, no… this is more of a eulogy for the idea.
I should have kept the idea at a vignette.
There. I blogged, it’s done, it’s dead. I killed it. I took it off my project list, so now I can sleep more easily. Because my life as a composer is an impossible pursuit of the day when my list of ideas on the backburner is completely empty.
That can never happen, nor should it.

26 Comments:
See, now that you laid it to rest, you've got me thinking about it again.
Though I think it was going to be titled Gotham.
I think in my notes I had described the city as "a monolith, a dark tower belching smog and steam into the sky, so dense as to create it's own climate: constant rain. So dense that day was charcoal gray, and night was black as pitch."
The Joker is Gotham City's arch-nemesis. Batman is certainly challenged by him, vexed, and threatened. It's Joker that upsets the apple cart everytime the city or Batman get a handle on the villians.
The real meat and potatoes of Gotham, of course, is exactly what you pointed out... the stories. The variety.
Also, living in the city is deadly, not just precarious. Villains aren't interested stealing in the Hope Diamond because they have a fetish for sparklies. And they don't put Batman in elaborate traps (save for the Joker, who seems to just love to screw with everyone as much as kill them - but he'd rather have an audience to witness his clever plans).
And the Riddler is Machiavellian, perhaps in the vein of Jigsaw in Saw, and less so in pun-filled limericks.
And absolutely no monologuing. Soliloquies, yes. But evil plot divulging monologues. No sir.
Friday, May 23, 2008 10:29:00 PM
The Riddler hates nothing more than the Joker. The Joker steals his thunder and gets in the way of his plots to take down Batman. After all, a joker is exactly that: a wild card.
The Riddler almost wants Batman to solve his elaborate puzzles and catch him—and then the Riddler will kill him. He can't just kill Batman flippantly. No, no. The Riddler sees Batman as his only intellectual equal. Perhaps he’s too much of a megalomaniac to see him as an equal, but at the very least Batman is a worthy adversary, the most dangerous game. There are lesser riddles that others try to solve and fail, and those ancillary characters might perish in the process.
Also, the Riddler wants Batman for himself. He would never be able to live with himself if someone else bested the Bat. He must have the honor. He must know that he outsmarted Batman before the end. The Riddler is a perfectionist and he plays by the rules, but only he knows what those rules are. His convoluted thinking sets the conditions of intellectual victory over his quarry, and all of Gotham is a playpen for his games. Not even the children of Gotham City are safe.
It’s a twisted place.
Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:44:00 PM
And then there’s Catwoman. Catwoman starts off as just a cat burglar, as she should. She’s small potatoes compared to the iconic super-villains of Gotham City. However, diamonds aren’t forever: she wants more glamour, more thrills. She gradually becomes more and more theatrical, and by the end of the first season, she comes into her own as a full-fledged super-villain with her own theme.
Second season, this of course garners the attention of the dark knight. She is amoral, not evil, and Batman sees potential in her to join his side of the fight. This begins the complicated and doomed romance arc in season two. Ultimately, by the end of season three, she swears off every ideal he tried to impart to her when she feels scorned and betrayed by fellow femme fatale Poison Ivy. Catwoman’s vicious streak is isolated once she decides she hates Batman completely. Later, she is defeated, and disappears from the limelight for about an entire season before returning unexpectedly and completely out of her mind for the final stretch of the series.
Thus, Gotham City has completely reshaped her from a simple thief in it for the rush to a total sociopath—at first modeled after the other villains of Gotham, and then further developed by her own personal tragedies. The fact that her corruption was gradual and avoidable adds to the tragedy.
That which Gotham creates, Gotham keeps for itself.
Sunday, May 25, 2008 9:18:00 PM
See, Catwoman is one of my favorite for Burton's treatment of her in Batman Returns (as we spoke of on the phone).
Basically, she's bat-shit (forgive the pun) crazy insane the entire movie, suffering heavily at the hands of an identity crisis (as all good Gotham characters do), more so each "life" that passes by. At the end Selina Kyle is dead. She kisses Max Shrek adios, and what's left of her mousy law abiding nature.
At the end, hello Catwoman.
Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:20:00 PM
On the subject of Harvey Dent/Two-Face.
I think there would have to be an episode, once Two-Face has established himself, where the two dueling personalities flip to see, once and for all, who gets to be the dominate personality. But we don't find out right away who wins.
The episode continues to play out, and it seems like Dent won, the character is a smidgen more helpful to The Bat. But he spends the episode having a metallic mask of some sort fashioned. WE assume it's going to play out in a Phantom of the Opera sort of way. However, at the climax or close of the episode, it's revealed that Two-Face won the toss, and had a mask that matches his scarred side fashioned for the Dent half.
Several episodes follow, where Two-Face has some degree of free reign, as the silver mask acts as a bit of a Man in the Iron Mask-style device.
Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:35:00 PM
That which Gotham creates, Gotham keeps for itself.
Is that a play on or a paraphrase? 'Cause I like it.
Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:36:00 PM
I was about to use the pun "bat-shit crazy insane" myself. We should... like... co-produce stuff.
Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:39:00 PM
Gah, are you coming on to me?
Sunday, May 25, 2008 11:51:00 PM
I can be your Robin.
Oh wait. I forbade his inclusion in this "Ultimate Gotham."
Monday, May 26, 2008 11:57:00 AM
Now that we're on the subject (are we?), would you address the temporary alliance with Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy with lesbian undertones?
Harley Quinn could make for a very interesting, sympathetic protagonist for a few episodes. She starts as an intern at Arkham, gets Bambi eyes for the Joker and helps him escape (a couple times), then finally becomes his sidekick for a while. She is really just as messed up in the head as almost anyone else in Gotham. But the Joker is too crazy, and she can't seem to find her place with him. Harley Quinn is just a lost little girl in a jungle of crazy.
Enter Poison Ivy, the big sister figure... season three, they become the "Queens of Crime." For a time, at least... but no alliances last very long in Gotham City.
Monday, May 26, 2008 12:15:00 PM
I love Harley Quinn! One of my favorites...
I always viewed her as the smart good girl that keeps falling for the wrong guys.
A note about the Joker and Arkham Asylum, I don't think he should get locked up all that often. As in never. I can see the bigwigs at Arkham always wanting to get their hands on the Joker, basically knowing that they can get more funding if they could demonstrate that their rehabilitation methods work, even on Gotham's greatest menace.
Anyhow, Harley Quiznel is taken with the Joker, fascinated, infatuated... and ultimately helps him free several top villains from the asylum.
Anyhoo, I see as Harley giving up a career for an abusive husband that she's in love with, but who is not in love with her. Which is how more recent depictions of the character tend to skew (rather than a gun moll).
Lesbian arc with Ivy? Of course. But she finds the same problem there, a would-be soulmate who's more into the Bat than into Harley Quinn.
Ultimately, Poison Ivy and the Joker are like any other villain, they are obsessed with the Bat, and they are obsessed with themselves. No room for anything else.
Also, on the subject of the Joker, I thinks he's as much about chaos as he is about a good joke. As the saying goes
The surest way to hear God laugh, is to make a plan.
And Joker certainly sees himself as Gotham's God.
Monday, May 26, 2008 9:47:00 PM
The Penguin sees himself as a gentleman, a nobleman of crime—a connoisseur, even. He considers himself the most sane, stable, and worthy of being the kingpin of Gotham. He’s the one who would devote a lot of time trying to unite and lead the various crime syndicates. The best way to get a huge crop of fresh henchman is to take over an existing clan.
Is he perfectly sane? Of course not. He’s the Penguin.
So he might eventually succeed in winning over the loyalties of several crime gangs in need of an iconic leader. Several of the other villains just ignore this “organized crime” approach, opting for their own solo agendas. The Riddler thinks the Penguin’s angle is completely in vain, that the Penguin doesn’t think big enough. The Joker abhors the very nature of the idea, seeing it as some distorted sense of feudalism that is just as much a nuisance as the Gotham Police Department. Meanwhile, the Mad Hatter jumps on the opportunity…
The Mad Hatter swaps out the Penguin’s top hat with one of his own neurological devices, planting ideas in his mind to fit his own agenda. The Penguin’s great conquest becomes puppet theater. The Mad Hatter thus spreads his sphere of influence throughout the entire Penguin gang.
Eventually, Batman foils the Mad Hatter’s plot simply by accident, disrupting what appears to be the Penguin’s master plan. The Penguin is ousted by the united gangs, though a few loyal converts follow him, becoming his long-term henchman. The gangs split up again, reverting back to lesser threats (though harder to keep track of if you’re the dark knight trying to thwart everyone all at once). The Mad Hatter moves to Plan B, but maybe Batman distributes a buttload of decoy hats (a la Thomas Crown) so as to confuse the Mad Hatter.
Despite the Penguin’s hard work, another villain screwed him over by taking advantage anonymously. That’ll happen once in a while. However, the Penguin gets away with at least slightly better off than he was before becoming the kingpin, whereas the Mad Hatter is busted and thrown in Arkham Asylum. Until the day he is freed by Harley Quinn, when he can return to his hideout/laboratory to pick up his experiments where he left off…
Meanwhile, the Penguin is redirecting his efforts make his namesake a more integral part of his next rise to power… and who better to help a militia of arctic creatures than Mr. Freeze?
Monday, May 26, 2008 10:50:00 PM
I see Mr. Freeze as being the focus of one of the first few episodes of the first season, showing his origin story. Most of the other villains are already in full bloom and would be dealt with in flashbacks, but Mr. Freeze would be shown becoming Mr. Freeze.
The pilot episode should probably be mostly about Clayface.
I haven't put much thought into the Batwing or other vehicles besides the Batmobile. What about the Batwing?
Monday, May 26, 2008 10:54:00 PM
I have a graphic novel that it is essential that you read. Please send me your address.
Sorry, I have to seriously interject here. Mostly, I love the idea. However I must take great objection with the omission of Robin and Batgirl.
1) What makes Batman so engaging is how he balances with various elements. The Joker would be the most obvious. Morality would be another. However, Robin (each of them in a different way) provides an essential balance to the Batman character. This series sounds great, but if it went six seasons without any Robin, that would be a fatal omission.
2) The three Robins are as essential to the storyline as the Joker. The most powerful storylines in the Batman canon are the murder of Tim Drake (Robin #2) and the paralysis of Barbara Gordon, the daughter of Comissioner Gordon. Both of these happen at the hands of the Joker and it really fuels the fire of the rivalry between the two. Tim Drake's murder is too powerful of an event for Batman not to be in this series.
3) Don't leave out any chance of a Superman cameo. Batman's contrast to Superman is too powerful an element not to include. I'd give him a cameo every two seasons or so (a two parter in season four, think STTNG "Best of Both Worlds"). The two are good friends and polar opposites in ideology. It's just too good to pass up.
4) I propose seven seasons. Including both Robin(s) and Batgirl. It should be remembered that Batgirl is NOT a sidekick. She wouldn't have to be consistently in every episode, or even every other episode.
Season 1: Batman alone.
Season 2: Batman & Robin #1 (Dick Grayson)
Season 3: Batman, Batgirl, & Robin #1.
Season 4: Robin 1 departs midseason.
Season 5: Robin 2 (Jason Todd) appears toward beginning of season. Murdered at the end as a season finale.
Season 6: Plot largely revolves around Batman alone again. Season finale: Joker paralyzes Batgirl, Robin #3 (Tim Drake) appears.
Season 7: Batman, Robin, Oracle (Paralyzed Batgirl)
Monday, May 26, 2008 11:36:00 PM
I reread my post. The Barbara Gordon paralysis isn't particularly powerful as much as it's just more fuel for the Joker fire. Robin, however, pretty much is "canon" spelled backwards.
Really, you've GOT to read this Batman series. It would be the PERFECT wrap-up for the entire series.
Monday, May 26, 2008 11:58:00 PM
But you hate Superman!!
Okay, the Captain and I were talking more about the idea that Batman is not above asking for help, but he essentially works alone. That’s part of why he tries to recruit Catwoman early on: she seems to potentially embrace his ideology, and she would be a great asset for the “good guys” of Gotham. “All right, you work this neighborhood, that way we don’t have to team up and we don’t have to call each other every time something goes down to make sure the other person isn’t already on it.” It would take the load off of Batman, so it’s in his best interest to recruit.
Batgirl could be one such secondary hero. She could have the focus of an episode once in a while, perhaps featuring Batman as an ancillary character, perhaps as a mentor figure, or perhaps completely absent. Once in a great while, they could team up, but not as a sidekick thing.
I also like the idea of Red Hood and Nightwing, to a point. I think a disgruntled former Robin would make a great villain, but the problem is that he has to be there earlier on. That’s why I suggested the death of Robin in the very first episode.
Alfred is Batman’s moral compass, the one the audience identifies with. His dialogues with Batman are where you get the most insight into the reality of Gotham City and the psyche of the dark knight.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:33:00 AM
Bah. You're being tidy and disabling comments on old(ish) posts--this relates to the "Mind as a Weapon" post.
Do you read Steve Brust at all? I'm not sure it's precisely your style, but the protagonist is a witty, badass assassin with a pet dragon-thing. Brust writes really well, too.
At any rate, in Issola there's a great discussion of tact. Somebody tells Vlad (the assassin) that he's got great tact. He's skeptical, but this somebody goes on to explain how tact is really knowing the right thing to say in a given situation--which may very well be an insult, or, "politely rude."
Courtesy is how we stab each other without having to bloody our knives.
Anyway. Sorry to interrupt the Batman/Gotham thing. Here's a question: which is the worse job in Gotham City: cop or bank guard?
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:26:00 AM
I don't know, but I can tell you that the safest place to work in Gotham City would be either the morgue or a porn shop. If you work in the morgue, you'd probably even be privy to some plots going on, but you'd never learn about their endings, which would drive you crazy. If you worked in a porn shop, however, you would never even be acknowledged. Censorship is a glorious thing.
My question was lost:
What about the Batwing and other vehicles?
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:42:00 AM
I actually imagine that working in the morgue might be kind of annoying. I imagine myself leaving notes like "Batman, I know you're reading this. Please leave everything like you found it. Last time, you neglected to sanitize the examination table when you were done with it and I got a week's suspension. Thanks--The Morgue Guy."
I've never been a big fan of the Batwing. A jet just seems...wrong for somebody whose self-appointed job is to patrol a city. I'd imagine something more along the lines of a helicopter, stealthed out and small, very minimal...maybe with rotors that folded, batlike, down over the sides when parked.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:28:00 PM
Tim Drake (A.K.A. Robin #3) sought to be the third Robin when, after careful observation, he realized that it's not a matter of Batman wanting to work alone or whether or not he needs a sidekick. Robin is as essential to Batman as the Joker is. Even Alfred agrees that Batman needs Robin.
Each Robin is a unique character, and would bring a lot to the table. Episodes from their perspective would be awesome. I quote Batman.
"Dick saw being Robin as a thrill. It's probably why he outgrew it. Jason saw being Robin as a game. It's probably what got him killed. But Tim...I have to hand it to the boy. He wants to be the world's greatest detective, and, from what I've seen so far, he will be someday."
...and as Catwoman says: "For a man who is supposedly a loner you've got an awful lot of strings."
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 3:38:00 PM
Okay, I'll try to keep my responses concise.
No Batgirl. Ever. As bad as Krypto.
How about this with Robin: first Robin dies in episode one. Second Robin reluctantly (but graciously) accepted in series finale.
No Superman. Krypton does not exist. We don't need another hero.
Killing Joke. Fantastic graphic novel. Brilliant story.
But... Joker back story plays a major role - the storyline is just gratuitous without it. In Gotham, the Joker simply "is". No history, no future.
Gotham is his city.
And he is her son.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:52:00 PM
However... in regards to Batgirl... I'm opposed to Barbara Gordon dreaming of becoming a "Robin"-like figure... then of being her own hero... before having those dreams shattered.
At that point, close to the end of the series (maybe the season five finale), she becomes the Oracle, but distinctly in the employ of Batman, helping to unite all of his information sources, Gotham's outdated security camera system, etc, etc.
I could see that. And maybe that season, we finally find out what makes Joker tick.
And it turns out to be a joke.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:14:00 PM
For a project I had put to bed, this one sure has a funny way of showing it. The irony is not lost on me that we have been talking exclusively about the story content, but that's still something.
If I ever outlined this more thoroughly, it would be nothing but another fan fiction, albeit in another format. Like my idea for a 26-episode series to tell the complete story of Final Fantasy VI. Both projects are pointless, masturbatory, and diversionary. Both projects involve me not wanting to tighten my iron grip over every facet, because... well, because it's my vision. It's okay to be a control freak when it's all in your mind.
Like I said, we all have our own ideas for what the "ultimate" Batman universe should be. The legend has been around for what, 70 years?
Maybe a miniseries of 10-minute animated shorts would be plausible. One for each major villain, essentially a character piece. That would be easier and more fun to score. Get to it, Captain. Start animating.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:19:00 AM
Yes, in that case, I might put the Captain's Gotham on my list of projects. Until/Unless that happens, so long, Batman.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:20:00 AM
Eh, my last comment should have read "I'm not opposed..."
End communication.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 12:24:00 PM
Eh, and I should not compose comments way after my bedtime.
Sad. Very sad. Sad and tired.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:04:00 PM
<< Home