Friday, May 16, 2008

Dark Forces Conspire

Herr Vogler and I have been talking. Oh, yes, we’ve been talking.

Scheming.

Plotting.

Perhaps sometime this fall, we will both return to Truman for a master class as guest composers. The Mostly Live Composers Society is the name of the master class / club, one for which we have many scathing criticisms. The short of it is that we want to return and be regarded with dignity and respect, present some music and some musical philosophies, and basically show these hopeless kids how it’s done.

It’s a big maybe at this point, and I definitely will not return unless I am sincerely welcomed by Dr. Gooch. And if it does happen, my only intention is to get the undergraduates to think about certain things. I don’t expect (or even want) to be regarded with doe-eyed adulation, but I will be taken seriously. Because this group needs it badly.

Herr Vogler, in is own way, is recruiting me to crusade against academic bullshit. He wants us both to get doctorates and beat the system from within. Doctoral school is still anathema to me, and probably always will be, so for now “my part” will be to continue to surprise people with useful and revolutionary insights…

If they choose to listen. Only if they are truly interested.

And if I’m invited as a guest composer, then that is certainly a grand gesture. Perhaps I can still influence the musical community, imparting something worthwhile. I do believe I can contribute as much as any “prestigious” guest composer I’ve ever encountered—ever. And so can Herr Vogler.

Oh, it’ll happen.

“Always two there are…”

Herr Vogler and I will return… we will have our day…

…and then…

…we’ll go to Too Talls. Probably with a small group of still-interested undergraduates to glean more from us. That’s part of the “guest composer experience” for an undergraduate: get to know the composer outside of the conference room, because all things in life are connected, and that’s how you network, and that’s how you learn.

And I deserve it. And Herr Vogler deserves it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Herr Vogler said...

You know this ain't gonna be a spicerun, right?

Friday, May 16, 2008 4:29:00 PM

 

<< Home