Sunday, December 31, 2006

Talking Shop

I have decided to regularly listen to recordings from the Naxos site, while simultaneously brushing up on historical/biographical entries online. That would be a good way to keep up with knowledge of music literature.

This past Wednesday, I was hanging out with a fellow musician who goes to my church, and we got into many discussions—the venue of our forum being Chinese buffet. We also went through a bunch of listening at my apartment. It was great.

Rewind a bit further, to Brad and me doing the same thing over coffee at Scooter’s. Talking shop is great when you generally agree with each other, isn’t it?

As I am gradually wading my way out of the cold, clear water that is hermitage, I find myself refreshed for talking shop some more. Apathetics, go ahead and surf the net while I go on.

I haven’t been entirely unproductive since I arrived in Kansas City. The majority of the work I have to show for my time, however, is not music I would willingly present to anyone without many a caveat. The music doesn’t always speak for itself, does it now.

I would like to take this moment to highlight the fact that I am not, contrary to popular belief, fundamentally opposed to (or in any way biased against) experimental music. Brad and I talked at length about experimentalism, and I naturally found myself on the defensive when I had to prove why Louis Andriessen sucks.

The thing is, it’s all about presentation. I can like just about anything… but I give the impression that I hate all experimental / avant-garde music. That is plainly a misunderstanding. Experimentalist works are just that: experiments. For someone to force-feed an academic audience their thirteen-minute concerto for bubble wrap and Kleenex boxes (or a less interesting piece like Andriessen’s Workers’ Union) and demand everyone revere it as “high art” is grating. Obviously. I’m not going to get into the philosophy behind it; that theme cadenced long ago.

A scientist doesn’t gather all the king’s horses and all the king’s men and sit them down to watch them toss potassium into a vat of KY jelly, followed by baking soda and vinegar. “Look at the reactions! Hail, the mighty power of science!!!

Nay, I say thee. For me, experimentalist music is best heard in such a setting as when a fellow composer says, “Hey, check out this piece. It’s composed entirely of this-this-this-this, and it sounds kinda cool.” Laid-back, no pretentious overanalyzing, no pressure—just a benevolent sharing of experiments and discoveries.

I can even enjoy Andriessen’s “music” if it’s presented in a laid-back setting. Like when Scott Blanchard and I used to sit around and listen to new music while playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 on PS2.

I am not closed to any genre of music. I am a composer. Again, the majority of music I’ve written since moving to KC is experimental in some way. BUT. I won’t force it into a recital setting and expect it to be treated with supreme intellectual favor… like every single Praecepta recital ever. After one piece (I won’t say which) at one Praecepta recital (I won’t say when), a colleague (I won’t say who) leaned over and whispered to me: “So this is what the death of music sounds like.”

No, my experiments are for me, and perhaps people like me who may wish to hear it with an open mind and a casual demeanor.

Now that I’ve hopefully inoculated my readers against any illnesses resulting from the Experimentalist–Existentialist dissertation they might have been expecting to explode like a powder keg, it’s time to give the rundown of every project I’ve done since moving to Kansas City.

First of all, I’m currently working on:

String Quartet No. 2 - I haven’t gotten far with this one, really. I have most of the first movement plotted. I ran into some counterpoint issues and decided to come back to it later. It’s a tonal piece in traditional forms. The second and third movements are only planned in verbal descriptions. I have a third such string quartet planned as well.

Edgar and Sabin - This is the brass quintet arrangement I did for my tubist friend in the Twin Cities. It’s loosely a sonata around two pieces from Final Fantasy VI: Edgar and Sabin and Coin Song. I had a lot of fun with this, simply because I love Nobuo Uematsu’s music, and I love getting new arrangements of his stuff. I figured, why not make one myself? It hasn’t been performed/recorded yet.

The Hill - This was the short film score in addition to The Hollow. It’s kind of a supernatural thriller/mystery, and actually has a really good script. Unfortunately, I think the project was aborted.

Shapes in the Glass - This is a minimalist piece, one I started in July. I sometimes come back to it, then realize I don’t like working on it, then quit. Then I go cry into a pillow and cut myself. I still have ambitions of having this piece finished and performed at BGSU.

Fantascapes – I started sketching several CDs’ worth of ideas. I even finished rough drafts of a couple pieces. Then, I made the mistake of blog posting about it a while back. I pretty much scrapped the project when Josh P. admonished me about marketing it. I’ll come back to it someday. Off and on. As long as it’s fun.

Works I have finished include:

Variations on G [14:55] – For MIDI pitched percussion. This piece began as a satire on block construction. Taking minimalism to the literal extreme, I would tinker with this piece once every few nights or so. The stipulation was that I could only compose it when I was simultaneously watching Seinfeld and drinking hard liquor. It didn’t take long, however, for me to take a liking to the piece, and I began putting more and more thought into where the piece should “go” every eight measures. I used a bit of phasing with polyrhythms, etc… the piece never deviates from a G minor scale. So basically, the piece starts out mind-numbingly simple and gradually turns into something interesting.

Puzzle Box: a commentary on academic ideology [15:08] – This began out of spite, and finished in mild contempt. My intention with this piece was primarily to satirize the as-yet-to-be-disproven-as-bullshit academic concept of “moment form”… and also to directly insult the worth of Milton Babbitt. I wanted all MIDI, since Babbitt often intentionally uses cheesy sounds. The piece sounds like it could be analyzed and “solved” after weeks of rigorous theoretical analysis of pitch sets, rhythmic motives, etc., but essentially it’s completely arbitrary. It sounds like a theorist’s wet dream, but it’s an impossible puzzle—hence the title. Many people seem to believe that the more difficult the piece is to analyze, the smarter the listener is for liking the piece. However, my initial methodology for composing the piece goes something like this: “Let’s see… I haven’t used a dotted thirty-second note in a while… how about on an F-sharp?” Lots of mass moving partial measures and transposing to give the illusion of returning to important material. I even had a few canons in there. One of my trademark comebacks to avant-garde abstractions is, “I could throw a turd at a wall, put a frame around it, and call it art.” Well, essentially, this is that. I was going for obscene length, out of spite for all the shitty, long pieces I had to sit through at Bowling Green—pieces that should have been only 4 minutes tops. However, as I said, it began out of spite but finished in mild contempt. I gradually started inadvertently using more and more craftsmanship to give the piece a sensible shape, direction, growth, and balance. This was an accident. I guess that proves I’ve grown as a composer. I can’t even make deliberate crap without redeeming the piece somehow. In the end, I had an experimentalist, atonal piece that plays the way much of the genre should be played to be enjoyed: in the background. Not taken seriously but treated as cool ambience.

Jukumite I [10:24] – This one is just for Timmy. This is loosely related to an old idea I’ve had for some time now. For about three years now, I’ve wanted to compose a five-movement percussion ensemble piece based on Musashi’s legendary Book of Five Rings. Alas, since I will never have the resources to do it justice, I became more interested in this series. I am interested in all kinds of percussion, as well as primitivism. Kumite is formal, controlled sparring, and jukumite is free-sparring. I wanted to keep it mostly unpitched, and I had six movements in mind. I knew I wanted at least two of the movements to be ten minutes, allowing for a complete immersion in the martial mentality. If nothing else, this could be used for goofing around with Dean. I mean, sparring is not supposed to be accompanied by music.

Jukumite II [4:24] – Much more ostinato than the first, with mostly different samples. And a little shakuhachi never hurt anyone.

Jukumite III [3:58] – Faster, with a swing. Primarily focuses on congas. Heavily inspired by Japanese music.

Jukumite IV [6:52] – More focus on sparse, heavy outbursts atop flowing, steady rhythms. A midget died during the making of this movement. His name was Todd.

Jukumite V [9:06] – Closely related to the first movement, but slower. Uses high-quality brass samples I got from the good Captain.

Jukumite VI [12:23] – Essentially a medley of various passages from all the other movements, but heavier, and with an original coda. Tam tams are applied liberally. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Dice Song No. 2 [0:50] – This is a continuation of an experimentalist series I “started” in 2000. I came up with numerous rhythmic motifs, and rolled a gamer’s die to determine in what order to sequence them. I then rolled a 12-sided die for each note to determine pitch. I dug up Dice Song No. 1 recently and decided to set it for MIDI clavichord instead of live piano. Then I decided to make more of the same, but with different motives. Monophonic. Very simple experiment.

Dice Song No. 3 [0:41] – More of the same.

Total: [78:41] (not counting unfinished pieces)

What? Tim likes experimentalism? Did we have him all wrong? How can this be?! I don’t hate experimentalism. True, I do resent the undue admiration for certain works and composers, but I don’t hate experimentalism itself. I do loathe the apparently ubiquitous Priesthood for the Sanctity of Experimentalism.

I don’t know what more I can say to appease everyone. I don’t feel I’ve said anything here that can possibly provoke a rebuttal, but… strangely, I get the feeling that I’ve done little to stop the touchiness of the impending comments. That’s the price to pay when you talk shop. [sigh] Let us begin.

13 Comments:

Blogger Herr Vogler said...

First of all I’m glad you’re keeping busy. It sounds like you’ve written a lot of stuff and maybe one day if you’re feeling up to it you’ll let me have a listen. Keeping up with the NML is an excellent idea as you mentioned both from a historical perspective and for the sheer joy of listening.

I believe we’re at an impasse, as well, over Louis Andriessen’s music. Neither of us proved anything to the other. Neither of us, it seems, is going to change the mind of the other. You’re certainly not going to change mine because I believe it to be good and interesting music.

I'm not disputing that a lot of what you refer to as "experimental" music isn't great and some of it is downright ridiculous. I do, however, have to use the quotes because a lot of what you consider “experimental”. Thanks to the knowledge, patience and encouragement of a lot of good human beings so much of it isn't so to me. It's become part of my regular listening and compositional lexicon. It’s part of who I am as a composer. I have no qualms with going from Harrison Birtwistle’s Earth Dances to Jerry Goldsmith’s First Knight to Steve Reich’s Proverb to Du Fay’s Nuper rosarum flores to Pierre Boulez’s Sur Incises (which is a sensuously beautiful piece, regardless of how it’s put together) to some Pat Metheny to a late Beethoven string quartet and topping it all off with some Star Wars action (that actually sounds like a pretty good playlist, come to think of it!). Furthermore I don’t care much what anyone else has to say about it. I approached many a holy mountain of experimentalism in my early youth wide-eyed and with an open ear and mind and did my damnedest to leave all the dogma at the foot of the mountain. Besides, when you get to the top of the mountain what you generally see is a lot of other mountains each with their own paths, steep slopes and crevasses waiting to be explored, too.

Personally I don't understand why any composer wouldn't want to know the inner workings of every piece that catches their ear. We're naturally curious folks. We want to know how things work. We like to tinker. As a composer understanding a piece of music doesn't make me smarter. It does, however, help make me better equipped to tackle the job of continually making myself a better composer (which is what I want).

Sometimes the forms we have just won’t work. Sonata form may not be right. Sometimes block construction just won't do. Sometimes you need a construct that's more-or-less free form (which is what I think is really meant by this "moment form" business; it just sounds more academic than “free-form”; or maybe the jazzers co-opted it first. I don’t know) or follows rules that only you understand not because you want to show off but because you need something. It doesn’t make you smarter or more clever (though sometimes it is clever). It just works. I suppose if you want to get right down to it much of the music of John Adams, one of my absolute favourites, could be called “moment form”. It just happens that the moments are long and tonal(ish) and gradually reveal themselves to be “other moments” that were there all along, too.

Monday, January 01, 2007 11:57:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

It sounds like you're talking about "organic" form there. That's exactly my point. Nobody has been able to define "moment form" to me in a sufficient way, and Burton Beerman's "I know it when I see it" approach just doesn't work.

As far as Andriessen is concerned, you admitted yourself that his music should only be heard in small doses.

And I do know what constitutes "experimentalism" and what doesn't. I'm not slapping the label on a sweeping landscape of contemporary music. Boulez is not experimantal, I know that. I'm not talking about that stuff.

I continue to feel undermined by this discussion. I am more eclectic than the average bear. That mountain you speak of... I was there, too, with wide eyes and open mind. This is precisely the problem I see in every facet of society: If you don't embrace it like I do, you're just not open-minded like I am.

You wrote: Personally I don't understand why any composer wouldn't want to know the inner workings of every piece that catches their ear... It does, however, help make me better equipped to tackle the job of continually making myself a better composer (which is what I want).
I absolutely agree. I often feel this stance is obscured by the criticism I release. I would still teach John Cage to a music appreciation class. I think experimentalism has a significant role in contemporary history and practice that needs to be explored.

It's all about presentation. You avoided the dogmatic approach, and came out ahead. I couldn't avoid it, and became disinterested. That's the only difference. On the other hand, having a composer tell me a piece is "great" simply because it does something off-the-wall is increasingly irritating. Louis Andriessen probably doesn't take his music as seriously as some of his followers. I don't expect to change your mind about his music. I don't want to. If you like it, you like it. If you find it interesting, you find it interesting.

From a performer's perspective, the real experiment is "seeing what happens THIS time we play!" because there are so many variables and elements of indeterminacy to pieces in this genre. That's usually lost on the listener unless they have program notes that are as long as the piece itself.

I'm not trying to shit on your parage. If you like Andriessen, fine. More power to you. I don't like it. I have damn good reasons, though, why I don't like it. And I am not going to tolerate anyone--friend or foe--undermining my professional opinion. Not anymore. Not after Bowling Green.

Perhaps, on a lazy afternoon, the two of us can get together and chill out to some Andriessen. That would be fine. I could even enjoy it. But the experience is ruined when you have a fanatic missionary of experimentalism [not you] hovering over your shoulder, saying "See? Isn't that great? Aww, how can you NOT get into this? What, did you just give a compliment? I told you so! Ha! I told you so! See!"

It's all music. Just listen, and take with you what you like.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:36:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

BILBO BAGGINS! DO NOT TAKE ME FOR SOME CONJUROR OF CHEAP TRICKS! I AM NOT TRYING TO ROB YOU!!!

For chrissakes I am not undermining your professional opinion! Period. The End. I realise from your days at BG that you feel like you have to be on the defensive all the time about what you like. You don't. That's bullshit. You are who you are. You like what you like. Nobody can take that away from you. Not with all the education and opinions and Schenker graphs and analyses in the world.

There's a passage from Garrison Keillor's Homegrown Democrat in which he's talking about a waitress at a cafe he frequents that I think is applicable (and he can say it so much better than I can):

"The blue-tinged girl brings my coffee with a grand hauteur that I admire. It's that old piss-on-your-shoe spirit of the underdog class that seems so scarce these days. Corporate America is successful at training this out of people through flattery ("You are a vital member of the HellMart family") and terror ("Smile and speak in a perky voice or you'll be fired and lose your health insurance"). School tries to knock the piss and vinegar out of you, the church coaxes you to be passive and sweet, but the human spirit is resilient and the blue-tinged girl refuses to curtsy. I like those teenagers with the chopped hair and tattoos and metal stuck in their faces and dramatic clothes. It's a statement. They remind me of myself when I started to imagine I was a writer. Not much evidence of it, so what could I do but try to look the part, smoke unfiltered Luckies, practice irony, wear army surplus, and carry myself with some grandeur. Here is this girl, making maybe eight bucks an hour with tips, but with a grand attitude and a big urge to be somebody. I wish her well. I wish I could give her a word of advice: lighten up, kid." (emphasis mine).

Finally, if you want to talk shop, you have to be willing to talk shop even it’s about music you don’t care for. And saying “It sucks” isn’t good enough. You’re too smart and too well-educated, dammit.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 1:41:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

I think you need to read my post again. I didn't say anything "sucks"... in fact, the overall tone is quite benign. I am willing to talk shop, but let's try to preemptively separate craft from philosophy.

I am quite willing to discuss experimentalism in an open forum. That was half of what this post was about.

Now, if I may redirect the subject slightly...

Moment form.

This elusive concept, as I said, was never really explained to my satisfaction by the faculty at BGSU. One time, in a lesson with Beerman, I used the term to describe some of Ligeti's music, and he interrupted in his signature, not-quite-Socratic way, "Well, what do you mean by moment form?" or "What makes it moment form?" After doing my best to explain the concept that he taught me, Dr. Beerman proceeded to confuse me by contradicting me. Well, then, what the hell is it?

I was hoping by now Mr. Plocher would step in and shed some light on that, but I'll go ahead and try to define it.

Wikipedia doesn't even know what it is. Grove Music is a douche and won't let people search anymore without signing up. Virginia Tech doesn't have it listed. I think I threw away that Morton Feldman book that talked about it (but then again, he talks about a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense).

Apparently it is attributed to Stockhausen more than Ligeti. Moment form is not the same as free form. In moment form, the "moments" are esentially "cells" of musical thoughts that are seemingly independent but are organized on a higher level. Hm... whatever that means. Unless someone illustrates what that "higher" level is, we just have to take Stockie's work for it. My impression from BG was that moment form was simply an arbitrary sequence of cells (or "moments") which do not submit to a higher organization--rather, intuitive composition.

Maybe I should email Dr. L and get it straight from the horse's mouth. Because "moment form" was so over-used at BG, yet never truly defined, that it nags at my academic mind.

Maybe if people could all agree on a definition of such a gray subject, we wouldn't have debates on firearms, abortion, and gay marriage... but I digress.

Moment form, based on what I learned from Dr. Beerman, is more about arbitrarily throwing together distinctly unrelated cells and giving it no organic growth whatsoever. This seems contrary to what I just took from Stockhausen a minute ago. When I tried to explain this concept to Brad on the phone a while back, he thought it sounded suspiciously like bullshit, and I agree. "Moment form" is a free pass to do anything? That's free form, isn't it? Moment form is not a blank check. No, there has to be a better definition. You'd think in two years, I would have been able to understand what the hell they were talking about. But no, it's our fault. It's the students' fault for being confused by unclear, contradictory terminology. Where's Josh?

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 3:23:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Perhaps moment form should be called "And now, for something completely different..."

With Puzzle Box, I assembled them in arbitrary sections for contrast and balance. I guess I was intuitively giving it a shape that pieces in moment form shouldn't have. I mean, the finale was denser than most of the rest of the piece. I guess I found it important to ensure that the listener could sense that the piece was coming to a close.

I listened to Puzzle Box: a commentary on academic ideology on my laptop at lunch (by the way, Naxos won't play because I'm missing a plug-in). It was the first time I'd heard it all the way through since writing it, and God help me, the piece is actually not bad! NOOO!

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 3:31:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Thanks. I made it myself.

If you're feeling left out, we can talk about The Hill, as it was mentioned in the post.

This moment form thing will probably never resolve itself anyway.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 10:18:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Well, technically I didn't write anything yet, just verbal descriptions of cues which I have since deleted! See, I still haven't gotten around to fixing my Logic problem...

ahem...

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 2:42:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Okay then. Well. This post sure died...

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 8:02:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

All right then... no closure except for this:

Moment form is authentic and specific, although it has been nebulously (mis)applied by BGSU faculty and students to many things that are not written in moment form. Free-form, organic form, through-composed... nay, moment form is not those things. Stockhausen created/coined the term, not Ligeti, and not theorists seeking to cover their confusion over such pieces. Moment form is and remains a structure that ties together "cells" of a piece which are organized by some "higher level" but only the composer understands. I hereby blame the BGSU composition studio for creating a labyrinth of confusion and shifting, misleading quasi-definition in a sad attempt to justify that which is ultimately arbitrary and shapeless. All that time, and nobody said "Stockhausen" and "moment form" in the same sentence. I had to Google it to learn that basic fact.

This concludes our talking shop for now.

Next post: Starbuck does Kansas City. Worlds collide. In a marathon of heists, high rolling misadventures, martinis, and car chases, will she come out ahead? Stay tuned...

Thursday, January 11, 2007 12:55:00 PM

 
Blogger J.D.J.P. said...

Late to the party, I know, but I've been enjoying my break and trying to remind myself of all the sets-and-rows theory that I've forgotten about in the last several years.

I think your last statement on moment form is pretty accurate. It's all about closed moments, with the idea that you just go from one to another without any teleological goal.

It's a concept that's awfully foreign to me. I still think of things as stories, even when I'm doing ridiculous things like composing a suite of diatonic dances with set-driven transitions. Music, taking place as it does in time, will always imply a narrative. No matter how hard a composer tries, there has to be some connection between the moments. There's some interesting linguistic stuff that can be brought in about synchronic and diachronic axes of meaning, but I won't bother with that here.

In my experience, "experimental" music is often more fun to play than it is to listen to, especially the improvisation driven stuff. For it to be fun for the audience, too, you have to create the right atmosphere. For me, that doesn't mean dimming the lights and expecting the audience to sit, quiet and expectant as if your every musical gesture is laden with the weight of ages.

There is a lot of terrible music written by very smart people. Pick a composer's conference or festival of your choice and at least 80% of what you hear will be garbage. Having organized such festivals, I can point to many reasons for that, including the foibles of performers, who tend to resent being strong-armed into playing specific pieces.

I digress, though.

I'll try and get in on the next round of shop-talk before it's concluded.

Friday, January 12, 2007 5:46:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Ah! THANK YOU.

Good point about the narrative aspect. I think we're all storytellers, to a point. And if a piece really is fragmented into unrelated cells, then... well, that's not a piece--it's a bunch of really short pieces, isn't it.

By providing such an adequate conclusion, you may have actually reinitiated the shop-talk...

Saturday, January 13, 2007 11:10:00 AM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

Ok, so I'm chiming in a little late in the game...wait...ehh, I got nothing, nevermind!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:35:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

The End.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 10:25:00 AM

 

<< Home