Guys In Tuxes, Girls From Texas
For what it’s worth, I just signed a lease at an apartment complex. For the first time since Kansas City, I have my own place. No roommates. All nude, all the time. Wait, no, that’s not what I was getting at. The point is, IT’S ABOUT BLOODY TIME.
Leading up to last New Year’s, pontificating about life and companionship, this isn’t quite what I had in mind…
Until Our Next Meeting
Quiet Dignity
Convalescence
To Absent Friends
Let’s face it: I’m never going to have a posse. I’m never going to recruit enough party members for the RPG that is my life. My life is never going to be like the Captain’s mythical Rat Pack New Year’s Party, never going to be like the final scene of Ocean’s 12. A guy can dream…
I realize that I have inadvertently fallen into the archetype of Guy Who Forsakes All Social Life For His Woman. It’s not me, man… it’s geography that’s writing everyone else out. That is not how I roll! Crap, I have the social life of a new parent! How did this happen?
I’ve been struggling for years now to keep some semblance of a posse together, but people settle down and life takes over. “Life” is what happens while you wait for better things to happen. I'm losing steam, getting weary of trying anymore.
We should all be relaxing together. There should be single malt Scotch present, and fine cigars. There should be smooth talking, sly grins, loosened neckties, and an overall back-slapping good time. The camera should freeze frame on a really good laugh, and then go to credits.
Sadly, I know that my own wedding wouldn’t even be that cool. No, weddings are for people who don’t get along to suffer each other’s presences and contribute to an already insurmountable mountain of stress.
Maybe I’m just bummed because I missed out on a couple of parties this week back home. Maybe there’s more to it than that. Well, at least I have my own place now. It’s a start.
Think I’ll splurge on another new three-dollar Chinese knockoff designer necktie on eBay.
Happy New Year, wherever you are, whatever you're doing, whomever you're doing it with. It could be so much cooler, though. New Year's Eve has the potential to surpass even Halloween in terms of Tim's Idealized Party awesomeness. Aw man, that would be sweet... If I had the budget, New Year's Eve could be the coolest night of your life.
So once again, friends, Happy New Year. Should auld acquaintance be forgot.

0 Comments:
<< Home