Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Candy

Well, it’s Halloween. Rather, it’s Saturday. Since I didn’t really do anything from “the list” this time around, it’s really just a weekend to me. The whole month was wasted, largely due to unaccommodating weather.

I did, however, buy some Halloween candy Thursday. It was a mistake. I was just getting over a nasty cold, and the candy made me regress a bit. And it just feels gross. Sugar… ugh. I draw the line at mints. Beyond that, candy just leads to pain and regret. At least tonight we gain an hour of sleep, right?

I’m in Columbia for a get-together, a Halloween party of sorts. It’s not the wild kind of party you’re thinking. It’s a few people I knew in high school and their parents, and possibly even a couple of their relatives who are currently in high school. A time to be laid back. A time for moderation (darn stupid people, cramping my style, making me behave). I’m going to polish off a few leftover beers from my last visit: Leinenkugel’s Fireside Nut Brown, easily one of my top ten favorite beers, perhaps even in the top five, right next to Killian’s Irish Red and Sam Adams Honey Porter.

Incidentally, you might find it curious that I didn’t drink beer at all until after I finished grad school and moved back to Missouri. Thus, this “acquired taste” is only three years old for moi, so perhaps my palate isn’t that refined, but… hey, I like what I like. I first discovered Leinenkugel’s Fireside Nut Brown at Picasso’s, one of very few coffee shops that serve beer, when I was looking for cold comfort on a December night, taking solace in anonymity by candlelight, under cover of live jazz.

It’s a cozy beer. It’ll do nicely for tonight. It’ll be my Halloween candy. I can’t handle the sugar in candy anymore anyway. I don’t even really drink soda these days. I guess I’m just a bitter kind of guy (in so many ways).

Thanksgiving is about to rear its ugly head, and then Christmas is coming whether we’re ready or not. Better pace yourself. Get whatever “candy” you want to treat yourself with, stay warm, and spook it up.

Being that it’s already Saturday, the day of, you probably won’t read this until after the fact, but:

Happy Halloween!

15 Comments:

Blogger Herr Vogler said...

You might get an extra hour of sleep!

Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:30:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

That's what you latch onto?!

Well, it's 3:00 AM... after the change. And I'm here. Eat a dick.

Sunday, November 01, 2009 2:59:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I hope it was good for you, too.

Word verification: naggism

Word verification #2: coffi

Yes have some.

Sunday, November 01, 2009 9:31:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Unclear conscience + vivid memory = insomnia.

Fortunately for me, obviously, I was able to pick up Andrew's neighbor's unprotected wifi.

Sunday, November 01, 2009 11:52:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

The best part of the party was the host's horrified reaction when he found out that I'm a teacher. Rightly so.

Sunday, November 01, 2009 11:55:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

You seem to be having a conversation with someone who isn't there.

Monday, November 02, 2009 11:12:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

That's not the most efficient use of bug spray, but you have a point about the glue.

Monday, November 02, 2009 12:03:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Word verification: dying

Wow. Just wow.

Monday, November 02, 2009 8:26:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

"That's what you latch onto?!"

"Sorry sweetheart. I haven't got time for anything else."

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:34:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

And that was when I told them that light doesn't get old. A photon that emerged from the big bang is the same age today as it was then because there is no passage of time at the speed of light.

Thursday, November 05, 2009 2:03:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

How do you mess up crutons?! Seriously!! That takes a colossal level of ineptitude. I'm never going back there.

Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Friday, November 06, 2009 1:42:00 AM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

GODDAMMIT! It left out a whole section - shit, shit, shit...

...this things having some serious issues tonight. Ok, ignore that last one, lemme try this again.

Friday, November 06, 2009 4:06:00 AM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

Yeah, no I made bail. Yeah. Yeah. Yep. Uh-huh. No...Manslaughter. Can you believe it?!?! Manslaughter!!! Oh no, I did it...I totally fuckin' did it! Yeah, I know right! I was figuring "Murder 2" at least, but...yeah. Uh-huh. Really?!?! Bottom of the river. Huh...I never thought of that. What's that? Nope, mailed it to Estonia. Yeah, that one. No really, real address...probably a pig farmer or something. You don't say?! Killed her, then fucked her?! Wow. Nope. Uh-uh...just killed the bitch. I dunno, something German...Katja, Inga. Yeah, that's it...Hilda! How'd you know?! Hang on, got another call coming in...Hello? Oh HI!!!! Yeah, hey can I call you right back? Yeah...yep he's on the other line. Great, uh-huh, yep...GREAT! Right, I'll call you right back. Hey...yeah, you still there? Sorry, cop that made the arrest apparently can't swim, go fig...so...Right, hang on a sec - HEY, WAIT FOR ME GUYS, I'LL BE RIGHT THERE! YEAH, THE REDHEAD! Ok, sorry. Listen I gotta call him back and then later that old bitch that saw me is having an accident with a staircase and a faulty walker. Right, uh-huh, right...yeah. Yeah. Yes...geez what are you, my mother?! Right, 9 a.m., American Airlines, Zurich - gotcha. See you then. Yeah, later. OK, BOYS...BRING ON THE TITTIES!!!

Friday, November 06, 2009 4:12:00 AM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

"Cold my ass...this som'bitch is dead. We killed it...WE KILLED IT!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU!!! HA HA HA!!!!!"

Monday, November 09, 2009 3:44:00 AM

 

<< Home