Concerto for Tuba
I. Awakening
II. Divertissement
III. Re-Awakening
"Maybe you can finish that tuba concerto you've been workin' on. You know... the tuba concerto you've been workin' on? Been talkin' about that for about... three years now. Hm. Got a nice... got a nice formal structure? Got some thematic material? Hm? An A theme and a B theme? Maybe some rhythmic motives binding the passages together? Maybe a nice... a nice exposition? A nice florid coninuous variation sequence? A recapitulation? Hm? Got a nice... cadenza for the soloist? Maybe the tonal center moves around in an unconventional progression? Maybe keep the listener guessing as to where the final movement is going? Maybe all the material of the first two movements is unified in the coda of the third movement, with some nice... juxtaposition? Maybe take the listener on a roller coaster, leaving them satisfied with the overall experience? Something like, uh... the aesthetic you've been leaning toward? Both enjoyable to the layman's ears and technically sound for the theorists? Oh, I look forward to hearing it."
The first movement is totally finished. It's essentially a rearrangement of Awakenings (plural, whereas the concerto title is singular tense... not a typo), a relatively acclaimed piece I wrote for the New Music Ensemble's silent film concert, second year at BGSU. It combined minimalism with Eastern-European folk melodies, accompanying the ten-minute montage of citizens waking up and facing the day. The unrelenting quarter-note drive in the accompaniment succeeded in connecting the audience to the vaguely melancholy monotony of city life without actually putting them to sleep. Of course, the original piece was written for tuba, piano, and sax choir, whereas the concerto is just tuba and piano. The hypnotic minimalism was a lot easier to achieve with a blend of about twenty-two saxophones (SATB), so I wonder if the piano in the concerto will just sound cheap by comparison.
Personally, I was never that sold on this piece, but after several people at BG suggested or requested that I adapt it for a concerto, I put my doubts aside, knowing that people already do like the piece I haven't finished.
A couple of weeks ago, I finally completed detailed outlines of the second and third movements, and I think I like what I have so far, but I can't seem to bring myself to frickin' finish anything. I have the attention span of a beagle.
But this is currently the piece at the top of my list of projects. That is, until the next shiny ball bounces across my field of vision.

5 Comments:
"That is, until the next shiny ball bounces across my field of vision."
Then again, you always did have shiny balls.
Monday, March 16, 2009 12:41:00 PM
By the way, I'm glad you're working again.
Monday, March 16, 2009 3:13:00 PM
Isn't anyone going to ask why he has shiny balls bouncing near his face to begin with? Is this a first, or a common occurence? Why are said balls shiny? Are they clean-shorn? Are they stinky shiny balls, or do they have a pleasant, soapy aroma? Are these caucasian balls, or chocolate salty balls? I think we all need to just stop, and concentrate for a moment on these balls and the threat they pose to ourselves and the American way of life. I know I'm at least mildly concerned. Or is that passingly interested? I dunno, which ever one comes across less gay.
...ooh, what if they're balls from another world?!
I'm glad you're working again too - of course, I have no frame of reference since I've never seen you work before nor have I heard any previous endeavors - but if it helps, I'll throw out all kinds of gladness in your general direction.
I suppose I should be working too - but that'll have to wait until I'm done with this whole pesky moving thing!
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:54:00 AM
I'm really excited! Would you allow me to see the first movement before you finish the rest of it? :D
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:47:00 PM
hey, it changed my name! spooky...
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:47:00 PM
<< Home