Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Bourne Affinity

I'm treating myself to one of my favorite franchises:

The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum


I love these movies... pretty much since seeing the first one in theaters. Obviously, I love a good spy action/thriller, but I have also always had a morbid fascination with all forms of amnesia. I also appreciated (and continue to do appreciate) that these movies kept the martial arts as realistic as possible. It was a great movie-going experience.

The Bourne Identity was fairly stylistically innovative to boot. Not only did it pioneer (well, maybe not pioneer, but it certainly at least popularized) the now ubiquitous shaky-cam in cinematography, it was also John Powell's first step in a grand new direction for his own "voice" (later continued in Paycheck and The Italian Job). So it was a stylistic milestone of sorts for the composer.

I guess these films resonate on a more personal level, a sort of subconscious appeal. Let's face it: for years, I've spent a considerable amount of time by myself, usually out and about accomplishing tasks with the same gritty resolve as Jason Bourne. Ergo, this music has carved its own sizable, indelible niche in my mind's ear. I guess that's the best way to describe it without sounding self-aggrandizing (I guess these movies make everyone feel like a badass, but the music alone has taken hold of me).

The Bourne films/scores fall into the very select category of "MINE!"--I can't help but feel a pang of childish, jealous indignation when I hear someone else speak of how much they love them. As if I have to compete with them over who loves them more.

You may have noticed that I keep mentioning the films and the scores. This is because, regardless of what 96% of the student body at BGSU may say, music is a HUGE part of any film, crucial to storytelling and style. The Captain might have something to say about this.

And now, on to the music itself.

The music is tightly constructed, getting an amazing amount of mileage out of every single motif. There are almost no "throw-away" musical moments, and each idea is developed through variation throughout the trilogy. Think about that last part. Many times, you hear someone praise a sequel for "developing" material "throughout," but more often than not it is merely gushing exaggeration. In the case of the Bourne trilogy, it's actually accurate, which is all the more impressive considering how much of the scores are rhythmically motivic (rather than a collection of instantly identifiable "tunes" you end up humming on your way out of the theater).

That is not to say that each of the Bourne sequels do not bring their share of new material to the table, either. They do. And it's all so brilliantly woven together. No way around it: the music is just damned professional. Personally, I think these scores should be studied, analyzed, and discussed in an academic setting, but academe would never go for that (it wouldn't be very "academic," after all).

There's a certain level of continuity in these scores that is rarely seen in action franchises. And that is reason enough to prize them, to hope that if they do adapt the other three books into films, John Powell will return to the helm. For me, a fourth Bourne movie would mean an exponential growth of personal enjoyment. The quality of continuity, the craft behind these scores makes them must-haves for anyone who listens to film music and wants to be rewarded for their attentiveness for a change.

13 Comments:

Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I, too, love these movies and scores.

One of the things I love most about them is the way Powell limited his orchestration from the outset and increased the size of the orchestra with each film. I think this is as important an aspect of the scores as the development of the music itself. It's a different kind of development that works on a much more psychological level than even the music itself.

And I'm not going to lie, I think the mileage he gets out of such an extraordinarly limited set of musical material spread over 6+ hours of film with lots of action writing is incredible.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:52:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

And who says you can't do an analysis of these scores? Not every place is going to have the same limited/limiting attitude as what you've previously experienced. Media (film/t.v./video game) music research and composition studies have become more viable academic pursuits over the course of the last 15 years. Those institutions that refuse to acknowledge new developments in music and music research gradually erode their own credibility so don't worry about it.

By the way, the analysis I read of Batman was written by a woman named Janet K. Halfyard. Google her. You might be surprised at what you find.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Sorry. I didn't mean to kill the whole thing.

"Yea Bourne movies!!!"

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:53:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Dr. Broman would certainly be interested in a presentation on it (he's the one for whom I did my legendary-depth Black Hawk Down analysis), so not all of academia would have such a patently dismissive aversion. I was thinking more because it is a Media Ventures score, it would be mistakenly filed under Euro-Trash, when in fact these scores are, collectively, a force to be reckoned with.

These scores, man... these scores... they're in my veins...

I'm hoping they get on the ball with The Bourne Legacy already. Hurry up hurry up hurry up hurry up!!

I only watched the first one last night, and Lost is on tonight, so I might try to watch Supremacy tomorrow night, who knows. The trouble is, these movies make me want to go out and do things... things I can't do in the countryside.

I know the pikey has a lot to say about this post...

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:13:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

I love how you blatantly bait your commenters.

Friday, March 13, 2009 8:33:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Heeeeeeere, pikey pikey pikey...

Friday, March 13, 2009 7:50:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Now you're just tempting fate. Don't say I didn't warn you when the Pikey shows up and says something so wrong, so mindblowingly disgusting that you have to call a priest to have your own exorcism performed.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 3:02:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Of course, I think he'd be hard-pressed to write anything more evil than "As I type this I'm listening to Kings of Lusturia".

Saturday, March 14, 2009 3:04:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

See, now you're baiting me... with the potential subject of the next blog post.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:23:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

That's my job, isn't it?

Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:24:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

So much for having a satisfying, intellectual, back-and-forth discussion.

So this is what it feels like to be Herr Vogler...

Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:25:00 AM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

And now from the book of impossible questions:

Who would you rather fist-fuck?

A. Your Grandmother (the one you like)
B. The Pope (pick one)
C. A 12-year-old Transvestite Thai prostitute
D. A small farm animal
E. All of the above (blood orgy!!!)

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:14:00 AM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

I absolutely love the Bourne films - a love that increases almost exponentially with each progressing film.

And that goes double for John Powell's scores. But do I have a lot to add to this conversation? ...Probably not so much, no.

Funny anecdote: I had a great "warm up the audience" moment when I saw Ultimatum. Right after Jason manhandled the spooks that were after the reporter in that back room of the station, I let out a rather genuine and clearly audible "Jesus Christ!!!". Which was, nary a second later, followed by Dave Strathairn's character uttering "Jesus Christ!" - which had the entire packed theater busting out in laughter. I was rather proud of myself for about ten seconds.

First rule of comedy - timing.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:25:00 AM

 

<< Home