Thursday, September 11, 2008

Zombie Wasteland

Z-Day +14. It’s been two weeks since the outbreak. The entire St. Louis area is a wasteland. It won’t be long before this spreads across the entire world. I hope they’ve at least blocked all traffic and flights in and out of the city. It must be contained.

There are a few sporadic zombies here and there, and the roving hordes have all spread out far from this area. Now, the biggest threat to our survival at the stronghold is food and water supplies. We’re good for a couple months, but what then? And where will we find more supplies? Are we supposed to hunt deer or something?

Electricity has been shut off to most places now. Even nuclear power plants shut down as a safety measure if no one does maintenance in a couple weeks. In another week, I expect all power to depend on generators like ours. Before too long, grocery stores will be useless except for batteries.

Today I was out rounding up some batteries and such. The landscape truly is a wasteland. It looks post-apocalyptic out there. Abandoned and wrecked vehicles are everywhere, and little noise can be heard apart from the occasional and inexplicable building fire and packs of household dogs that have turned nomadic, looking for food. I crossed this post-human wasteland, wearing my blood-repellent raincoat and equipped with a shotgun and a Deagle, cautious but prepared for anything. That’s when I saw him.

Patient Zero himself. Yellow T-shirt and brown shorts. He’s not in good shape, I tell you. In fact, I could smell him before I even saw him lumbering along the street.

This means that Patient Zero never left the immediate vicinity. Ponder the implications of that fact for a moment. Is it a fluke? Does that mean that most zombies don’t travel very far, even when food runs out? Does that mean he’s some sort of proto-zombie who can be captured and studied to find out why the other zombies seem to have evolved? Have they evolved? Is all this just conjecture?

I didn’t do anything. I didn’t cap the bastard right then and there. I didn’t try to disable him and bring him back to the stronghold. I am, however, discussing it with the other guy at the stronghold. Maybe we can track his movements. Maybe we’ll prepare a two-man capture operation tomorrow. This is intriguing. I am hoping that Patient Zero can prove to be useful in some way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

I say bag him, chain him to a wall and name him Bub.

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:42:00 AM

 

<< Home