Thursday, August 28, 2008

Patient Zero

Sometimes when I get to the coffee shop, I can’t get a table with an outlet. That pisses me off, because I usually camp here much longer than my laptop battery can handle unaided. I’m not that territorial, but when you’re just sitting there, not drinking, eating, or reading… I believe the expression is “shit or get off the pot.”

This dude… he was at “my” table, staring listlessly out the window. I thought maybe he was reflecting on something he just read, because he had a (closed) book on the table. Nope. Then I thought he was waiting for his companion to come out of the bathroom. Nope. He was just… there, usurping my spot. His empty Coke bottle was a testament to the fact that his time had come and gone, and I was this close to just asking him if I could take his spot.

Also, they didn’t have a pot of house blend ready just yet, but they said they’d bring it out to me. So there I am, sitting at a table with no outlet and no coffee, just waiting for both. After a long enough wait, my coffee was free, which is totally sweet. I got my free coffee at the same time that what’s-his-nuts finally relinquished the table. I could finally settle down and do my thing.

Weird. Who just sits there, staring out the window, almost motionless? I think that guy was a freakin’ zombie. He smelled weird, too. Come to think of it, I saw him bite someone on his way out. Yeah. I’m certain of it now. He was Patient Zero, the first zombie, the undead Prometheus. Watch out for him—he’s a big guy in a yellow T-shirt and brown shorts. I’m going to Schnuck’s to stock up on canned goods and bottled water.

Just to be safe, the next time someone’s sitting at my table, I should whack him over the head with a baseball bat. In case they’re zombies, too. You know. Can’t be too careful.

6 Comments:

Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I was wondering why I heard strange, electronically manipulated breathing sounds this morning. I guess it was because we're living inside a zombie film.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

It's a good thing zombies aren't adaptable like the Borg.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Riddle me this: why zombies don't cannibalize each other???

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:19:00 PM

 
Blogger Mikey the Pikey said...

They prefer fresh meat.

Can hardly expect a zombie to know where to find the Pepto after eating something old and rotten now can we?

Friday, August 29, 2008 1:12:00 AM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Friday, August 29, 2008 8:41:00 AM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Though your "can do" spirit is admirable, I'd caution you against taking a shot at any poor bastard that lingers a bit too long around your table. True, the individual may be amongst the undead... but what if they're not? One good shot to the noggin', and you're strengthening Their numbers.

Next you know it boys in blue are johnny on the spot, and you're warming a bench in a cozy 8x8 right at the dawn of the apocalypse. And what do we all know about those critical first hours of outbreak? They're the ones where the "people in charge" don't understand or will not admit the true nature of what they're up against. So, the first wave of infection gets dumped off at emergency rooms and police stations - depending on aggression. Getting yourself thrown in the cooler over some coffee-related hostility is a death sentence when the world goes mad.

Friday, August 29, 2008 8:42:00 AM

 

<< Home