Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Midwestern Halloween

It snuck up on me. That’s too bad. Just like last year, I haven’t had the opportunity to do much about Halloween season, short of reading Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark while drinking hot apple cider at Borders. I didn’t carve any pumpkins. I didn’t put up any fake cobwebs. I wanted to dress up as a pirate today (let the Seinfeld quotes fly), put I was too late in getting all the components together. And a corn maze would have been awesome. I tried very hard to manage the latter two, and I ended up wasting a lot of time in the process. Dean and I also canceled our plans to hang out tonight. Ultimately, my goals (meager as they were) proved too lofty.

Alas, people are spread too thin or are too busy for such Octoberrific adventures. One of these years, I’m going to do it all. Darn stupid kids… hogging all the fun…

In the office today, I’m going to listen to the score to Blood, an old FPS game for PC—zombies in the prohibition era, can’t go wrong with that. Creepy music. I love it. I want to emulate that for a composition project sometime. Maybe I’ll title it A Midwestern Halloween, because this is truly the place to be for it. The Halloween atmosphere is virtually unnoticeable in any other region.

Man, I still don’t have Army of Darkness on DVD.

Okay, first I’m going to get me some Reese’s Pieces, then I’m going to camp all night in the pumpkin patch, because this year, I am finally going to see the Great Pumpkin and prove once and for all that he does exist!

Whatever it is you are doing—Happy Halloween, everyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger the warrior bard said...

The weather today has become even more Halloweeny. Chilly, cloudy, ominous, breezy... the world seems to have a decaying look, and the leaves blow on the ground in a very spooky way when you walk by them.

Next year, Dean and I want to go as Plunkett and Macleane. Who would be which? Oh, that's easy. I would be the gruff, testy, head-butting, every-man-for-himself Will Plunkett, and Dean would be Captain James Macleane, the short-sighted debonaire who abuses his noble status to get women and pull off heists.

Well, we already have the pistols, but where can we get high-quality overcoats, boots, and hats for a low price...? There's the rub.

That movie is sweet.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:28:00 AM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

1.) I totally forgot it was Halloween until I got to work. I even had a special edition of Film Score Friday planned! Maybe tomorrow.

2.) I've never seen Plunkett and Macleane. I've heard some of the music and liked what I heard though.

3.) High quality + low price = Timmy, it's time to wake up!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 3:46:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

Okay, so I finally bought Army of Darkness... but I won't be able to watch it for a while. But I have it now.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 11:41:00 AM

 
Blogger The Captain said...

Baby steps.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 6:41:00 PM

 

<< Home