Yeah, after Halo and Harry Potter, I feel almost like I accomplished something... almost.
What's next on my entertainment docket? I started reading Legacy of the Force, a nine-book series that is essentially the end of Star Wars "as I know it"... and it's going to be awesome.
I was also looking into Forgotten Realms and Eberron on Wikipedia. I guess both of them started from a table top campaign setting.
Forgotten Realms simply has too much. It's too daunting... it's actually tiresome just to go online and find a chronological list of all the literature since the 80s. I think there are about as many Forgotten Realms books as there are Star Wars, and I would be without a guide to tell me which ones are worth reading and in which order. I think I've decided that I really don't care about getting into those books.
Then I discovered Eberron. It's only been around since 2004, so there are only 20-30 books or so. Much easier to jump in. I might get into that later. It sounds like it could be my bag, mixing high fantasy with elements of technology. The article on Wiki said "Eberron combines a fantasy tone with pulp and dark adventure elements, and some non-traditional fantasy technologies such as trains, skyships, and mechanical beings which are all powered by magic... in a period after a vast destructive war on the continent of Khorvaire."
Also, the following movies were listed "as inspirations for tone and attitude: Brotherhood of the Wolf Casablanca From Hell The Maltese Falcon The Mummy The Name of the Rose Pirates of the Caribbean Raiders of the Lost Ark Sleepy Hollow"
Interesting... but I'd be interested in hearing an actual person tell me about the books before I decide if I want to get into them. I still have a bunch of fiction on my plate, so this isn't exactly a present concern. I'll probably read Tolkien's stuff first anyway.
Obviously, by doing more, I'm not doing as much as I'd like to be doing, because I'm too busy doing things. If I could do less, more would get done, but then I wouldn't have done it all. Doing what I do isn't doing it for me.
Yes, both Eberron and Forgotten Realms are campaign settings of D&D.
I remember reading about the former a few years ago, thinking it would be a fantastic (no pun) setting for films. I like high fantasy + technology. A bit steam punk.
Yeah, but I don't know about how much noir influence there is. I don't care that much about reading noir/pulp books.
But my first impression of Eberron is that it could be totally sweet, like Final Fantasy VI--possibly my all-time favorite. Sword and technosorcery. Neo-Victorian, post-devastating-war darkness. Sweet.
I was tempted last weekend to buy Forgotten Realms: The Grand History of the Realms, a sort of reference guide to the world with timelines and maps and stuff. But even that wouldn't really get into synopses of books and events.
Even Wikipedia kind of sucks for giving synopses, surprisingly enough. What I really want is the Forgotten Realms equivalent of Star Wars: The New Essential Chronology.
Heck, I might even buy some of the AD&D campaign setting books, just because I like reference guides so much (I also have strategy guides to video games I'll never play). A book is a book.
Of course, that would require money. As George Carlin says, "I don't have hobbies; hobbies cost money. Interests are quite free." And something like the AD&D books might make an interesting read on a long plane ride or something, but I'm not about to plunk down $30 on one of the campaign books. Not just yet.
j.d.j.p. is referring to my current Facebook profile picture. Dean has the collector's edition or whatever of Halo 3, which comes with the Master Chief's Mjolnir Mark VI helmet as part of the case. With a little perspective trickery, I held it so it looks like I'm actually wearing the helmet and making a pensive gesture.
I'm not even sure how to measure the sarcasm in that.
"Doing" isn't necessarily the same as "getting done." Logic is being a beeotch, crapping out every time I try to combine my bassoon lines, for example. Contrary to popular belief, I have been composing. I also have a lot of other shit that's important, too. Important to me, important to other people (at least they act like it is, like I'm letting them down somehow when I don't do what they think should be my top and only priority, be it working out or writing a choral piece).
Setting aside a few hours to be terribly productive in composition is not feasible on a daily basis, either. It was easy to set aside an entire Saturday to blast through Halo 3 so it wouldn't get any more in my way of being productive. One day. A Saturday night... how I spend it is really my business anyway.
Yes, I have enough trouble managing my time as it is. I don't need a new hobbie, but adding a bunch of books to a list of "eventual reading" is okay, because reading is something I can squeeze into the slow lulls at work (don't tell my boss), so it's not exactly preventing me from "getting things done."
Jesus, I can't even talk about leisure activities without being admonished.
Oh, and Friday night, while I was waiting indefinitely to put Fritz to bed, I spent over 30 minutes playing Mega Man 2. I could have been composing, but I didn't want to get in a groove and be interrupted. So I played a video game for a small chunk of time. I guess I'm a hypocrite.
Measure the sarcasm with a really big stick; which means you'll have to find one elsewhere (WHACK!).
I wasn't admonishing. It was more like, "Sometimes I wish I had time for those kinds of leisure activities." Then I remember I spend a lot of time cooking, reading, watching the tele and other things "normal" people do.
If I spent less time pouting while driving, I'd get even more done. And cooking... hmmm... yeah, I should probably spend more time cooking. (Of course, the oven at the house doesn't work...)
Whenever Lost comes back on the air, I'm going to be screwed.
Seriously, though, there is something about finishing a book or video game that makes you feel more "accomplished." Why is that?
In part, it's because you are gratified by the completion of a story, but it's more than that. I guess they both take a lot more time and effort than a DVD marathon. But all three can be addictive...
21 Comments:
So, I suppose you "finished the fight then?
Sunday, October 14, 2007 9:03:00 PM
I am aware of the past tense. I was using the tagline, you douche.
Monday, October 15, 2007 8:15:00 AM
I am aware of the tag line. I was using the past tense, you douche.
Monday, October 15, 2007 9:39:00 AM
I think you should wear that Master Chief helmet to work.
Monday, October 15, 2007 11:21:00 AM
Wow. It's a big week for you. Perhaps we should call you "The Finisher".
Monday, October 15, 2007 12:28:00 PM
Yeah, after Halo and Harry Potter, I feel almost like I accomplished something... almost.
What's next on my entertainment docket? I started reading Legacy of the Force, a nine-book series that is essentially the end of Star Wars "as I know it"... and it's going to be awesome.
I was also looking into Forgotten Realms and Eberron on Wikipedia. I guess both of them started from a table top campaign setting.
Forgotten Realms simply has too much. It's too daunting... it's actually tiresome just to go online and find a chronological list of all the literature since the 80s. I think there are about as many Forgotten Realms books as there are Star Wars, and I would be without a guide to tell me which ones are worth reading and in which order. I think I've decided that I really don't care about getting into those books.
Then I discovered Eberron. It's only been around since 2004, so there are only 20-30 books or so. Much easier to jump in. I might get into that later. It sounds like it could be my bag, mixing high fantasy with elements of technology. The article on Wiki said "Eberron combines a fantasy tone with pulp and dark adventure elements, and some non-traditional fantasy technologies such as trains, skyships, and mechanical beings which are all powered by magic... in a period after a vast destructive war on the continent of Khorvaire."
Also, the following movies were listed "as inspirations for tone and attitude:
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Casablanca
From Hell
The Maltese Falcon
The Mummy
The Name of the Rose
Pirates of the Caribbean
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Sleepy Hollow"
Interesting... but I'd be interested in hearing an actual person tell me about the books before I decide if I want to get into them. I still have a bunch of fiction on my plate, so this isn't exactly a present concern. I'll probably read Tolkien's stuff first anyway.
Monday, October 15, 2007 12:43:00 PM
Of course, all this takes a backseat to the actually productive undertakings I barely have time for as it is...
Monday, October 15, 2007 12:44:00 PM
Not to mention the non-fiction reading on my plate.
You know, I really need to do less. If I didn't do so much, I could do more.
Monday, October 15, 2007 12:48:00 PM
But if you'd do more, then you'd get more done, thus freeing up time to do less. Or more.
Your choice, of course.
Monday, October 15, 2007 1:21:00 PM
Obviously, by doing more, I'm not doing as much as I'd like to be doing, because I'm too busy doing things. If I could do less, more would get done, but then I wouldn't have done it all. Doing what I do isn't doing it for me.
Monday, October 15, 2007 1:32:00 PM
Yes, both Eberron and Forgotten Realms are campaign settings of D&D.
I remember reading about the former a few years ago, thinking it would be a fantastic (no pun) setting for films. I like high fantasy + technology. A bit steam punk.
Monday, October 15, 2007 2:07:00 PM
Yeah, but I don't know about how much noir influence there is. I don't care that much about reading noir/pulp books.
But my first impression of Eberron is that it could be totally sweet, like Final Fantasy VI--possibly my all-time favorite. Sword and technosorcery. Neo-Victorian, post-devastating-war darkness. Sweet.
Monday, October 15, 2007 2:15:00 PM
I was tempted last weekend to buy Forgotten Realms: The Grand History of the Realms, a sort of reference guide to the world with timelines and maps and stuff. But even that wouldn't really get into synopses of books and events.
Even Wikipedia kind of sucks for giving synopses, surprisingly enough. What I really want is the Forgotten Realms equivalent of Star Wars: The New Essential Chronology.
Heck, I might even buy some of the AD&D campaign setting books, just because I like reference guides so much (I also have strategy guides to video games I'll never play). A book is a book.
Of course, that would require money. As George Carlin says, "I don't have hobbies; hobbies cost money. Interests are quite free." And something like the AD&D books might make an interesting read on a long plane ride or something, but I'm not about to plunk down $30 on one of the campaign books. Not just yet.
Monday, October 15, 2007 2:25:00 PM
j.d.j.p. is referring to my current Facebook profile picture. Dean has the collector's edition or whatever of Halo 3, which comes with the Master Chief's Mjolnir Mark VI helmet as part of the case. With a little perspective trickery, I held it so it looks like I'm actually wearing the helmet and making a pensive gesture.
Monday, October 15, 2007 2:38:00 PM
Wow. With all you're getting done it makes the fact that I'm only writing a bass trombone concerto right now seem positively lazy.
Monday, October 15, 2007 2:49:00 PM
I'm not even sure how to measure the sarcasm in that.
"Doing" isn't necessarily the same as "getting done." Logic is being a beeotch, crapping out every time I try to combine my bassoon lines, for example. Contrary to popular belief, I have been composing. I also have a lot of other shit that's important, too. Important to me, important to other people (at least they act like it is, like I'm letting them down somehow when I don't do what they think should be my top and only priority, be it working out or writing a choral piece).
Setting aside a few hours to be terribly productive in composition is not feasible on a daily basis, either. It was easy to set aside an entire Saturday to blast through Halo 3 so it wouldn't get any more in my way of being productive. One day. A Saturday night... how I spend it is really my business anyway.
Yes, I have enough trouble managing my time as it is. I don't need a new hobbie, but adding a bunch of books to a list of "eventual reading" is okay, because reading is something I can squeeze into the slow lulls at work (don't tell my boss), so it's not exactly preventing me from "getting things done."
Jesus, I can't even talk about leisure activities without being admonished.
Monday, October 15, 2007 3:39:00 PM
Oh, and Friday night, while I was waiting indefinitely to put Fritz to bed, I spent over 30 minutes playing Mega Man 2. I could have been composing, but I didn't want to get in a groove and be interrupted. So I played a video game for a small chunk of time. I guess I'm a hypocrite.
Monday, October 15, 2007 3:42:00 PM
Measure the sarcasm with a really big stick; which means you'll have to find one elsewhere (WHACK!).
I wasn't admonishing. It was more like, "Sometimes I wish I had time for those kinds of leisure activities." Then I remember I spend a lot of time cooking, reading, watching the tele and other things "normal" people do.
Monday, October 15, 2007 4:33:00 PM
Oh. Mega Man rocks.
Monday, October 15, 2007 4:40:00 PM
If I spent less time pouting while driving, I'd get even more done. And cooking... hmmm... yeah, I should probably spend more time cooking. (Of course, the oven at the house doesn't work...)
Whenever Lost comes back on the air, I'm going to be screwed.
Monday, October 15, 2007 4:50:00 PM
Seriously, though, there is something about finishing a book or video game that makes you feel more "accomplished." Why is that?
In part, it's because you are gratified by the completion of a story, but it's more than that. I guess they both take a lot more time and effort than a DVD marathon. But all three can be addictive...
Monday, October 15, 2007 4:55:00 PM
<< Home