Hope Fails
Strength is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You must comply.
Actually, editing is irrelevant. After a very helpful and efficient lesson, going over some fine-tuning stuff, my lesson closes with bombshell.
I won't be able to graduate in May.
Despite my best efforts, despite all my sacrifices, Dr. Lillios pretty much told me it's impossible. The score isn't technically finished, so it hasn't been through even its first proof by her. I have to have all that ratified before I get the green light to start making parts. Unbeknownst to me, I have to make handouts of my analysis for the thesis defense committee. That's news to me. Maybe if I had a full briefing two months ago...
All these things have to be done by March 15. The Ides. Bear in mind, there's a week off of classes between now and then, too. That means the professors aren't around, but I still get to work in panic mode. Thanks.
If my score wasn't so big, it wouldn't be a problem. Because I won't make some obscene deadline, I have to graduate in August. Sure, oh great, yeah, that's convenient, right? I'll be around anyway, and this way my family gets to see commencement, since they can't make it in May. Guess what? I never cared about commencement. As I recall, I didn't even care if my family came to my undergraduate commencement. So calling this a blessing in disguise is an insult to me. Let's call it what it is: a kick in the nuts.
The task is insurmountable, but I'll do what I can to get the score done by Tuesday, which is the soonest Lillios can look at it. I don't care anymore. I hate the piece anyway. I just wanted to get out of here in two years, since I didn't get the experience of graduating from Truman "on time." I failed again.
This is a prime example of why I am starting to hate grad school. It's bullshit. I'm sorry, but that's actually the technical term. If that offends you, I'm sorry, but you had better get over it. In fact, I'm not sorry. I'm not sorry at all. The only thing I'm sorry about is that I started this thesis so far in advance when ultimately it did me no good at all. I should have enjoyed life more instead, because it didn't help me get out of here in May. It has only brought agony and shame.
Now my objective is to save face, and get out of here with a modicum of dignity, and to do so without actually hating the past two years of my life. That is my task now.

2 Comments:
I feel you. I had to "graduate" in the summer session even though I wasn't technically living in Colorado anymore at the time...and why?
Because I had to take the exit exam three times because the old fart that was the Theory chair didn't like my counterpoint answers (which is kind of understandable since we were never really taught counterpoint at Mo West and it wasn't offered as a Grad refresher at UNC...sigh). Actually, I took the final attempt at the music department office at Mo West and had Doc Gilmore mail it back to UNC for me...so yeah, Grad school can be a bitch.
Though to be honest, it sounds like their openly antagonizing you over the thesis. I had mine written, approved, and off to the copy shop in three months. Doc Ehle, my comp prof signed off on it after three lessons worth of revisions. They don't have to be that hard on people...I'm guessing they're just being dicks (ironic since I gather they are of the non-dick-bearing gender). Anyway, sorry the "experience" hasn't been good for you, it's not fair really, it should have been fun.
Friday, February 24, 2006 9:16:00 PM
Oh, Biggs is right, I'm never gonna get out of here!
Sunday, February 26, 2006 7:00:00 PM
<< Home