Friday, October 14, 2005

A Day in the Life

Today was another long Friday. The longest day of the week. Getting up before dawn, preparing to teach two morning classes, following up with a composition lesson after lunch, then Comp Seminar. After that, Praecepta meetings. But I have stopped going to Praecepta for many reasons.

Guest composer Samuel Adler (whose wife is actually faculty here) presented today at the master class. He had some encouraging things to say, just from his musical philosophy. Mostly my head was still spinning from my comp lesson right before seminar, so I don't remember everything that happened. It was probably the best dealing I've had with a guest composer since... well, since Charles Argersinger at Truman State exactly two years ago. That's a long time to go without feeling like I'm not having my time wasted by an esteemed guest.

After catching a bite to eat, I went with a horde of people to a corn maze about 25 minutes away from town. It was kind of fun. Huge maze, but I was disappointed that the objective was to find the items on a scavenger hunt and come back through the entrance. It lost its appeal about halfway through when I found out that there was only one way in and out of the maze. I thought the point was to find your way to the other end. Also, wearing a white shirt precludes you from jumping out and scaring people.

Now I'm back at my office, doing work. This is how my weekends are going to be, I'm afraid. At the moment, I feel a bit like Edmund Dantes--holed up in here while the world goes on outside these walls without me, laboring in solitude until I have my day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Herr Vogler said...

Even in a crowd, many of us labour in solitude every day.

Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:09:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

The most valuable lessons I learned were always with Dr. Gooch.

Outside of my comp lessons, though, (where I was always getting terrific support, too), the most valuable comments I ever received were also from Dr. Argersinger.

Monday, October 17, 2005 11:52:00 AM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

You can't sleep past your day. Otherwise, it wouldn't be your day. Although, I think you don't actually know if it's your day or not bacause it takes several business days for your day certificate to come in the mail.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:17:00 PM

 

<< Home