Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Peppermint Bark

I had a really epic Halloween post drafted in Microsoft Word, but by the time I was able to get on my blog and post it, it was the day after. So I scrapped it and started a post about how awesome I am for starting Christmas early... and then time got away from me and the post was no longer appropriate, because now it's already Thanksgiving and everything I had written is already moot. So I scrapped that one, too.

Instead of making my blog drafts so specifically topical as to expire before I am able to actually access my blog, I should keep it flexible. Instead of spending days on a lengthy, well-constructed essay, I'll just shoot from the hip.

Also, while I was this close to beating my record for preparedness for Christmas, I contracted the flu and put everything on hold. Now, it's just not impressive. Some people probably already have their Christmas tree up. Dang it. I still have more shopping to do.

One or two more days of relishing my autumn decor, then it's time to box them up and bring out the poinsettias and pine. Just like with fall, this is the first year I can actually decorate, so I started buying up Christmas decorations, piecemeal, since the beginning of October when they first became available.

My first Christmas tree. I went the artificial route, of course. Classic pine for the tree. Clear, non-flashing bulbs for the lights. Overall ornament scheme is slightly rustic and traditional, most colors being reds, golds, greens, browns, and only hints of silver. Lots of classic monochromatic orb ornaments, a few more ostentatious orbs. Velvet bows, some brown glitter pine cones, jingle bells of the color scheme described before, and a few other ornaments that I can't remember off the top of my head. I've been stashing everything in the closet as I'd purchase them, more or less forgetting exactly what they all look like but checking them off the list. I have the skirt and the star and everything, I'm just waiting for myself to clean my apartment before I take down the fall stuff.

My tree is going to rule. I also have been buying strands of lights for my balcony, little by little, as a compulsion. I think part of me is worried that our politicians are going to wreck our entire civilization and this is the last chance I'll ever have to buy Christmas lights, so I have the hardest time walking out of Wal-Mart without any.

Hmmm... I seem to remember buying a good pillar candle ring from Hobby Lobby, but I'm not so sure... I guess I'll find out in a couple of days.

Peppermint Bark hit the shelves November 1. Believe me, I checked every day up until then.

I haven't actually started listening to Christmas music yet, except for The Nutcracker, so basically I haven't jumped the gun on the season this year like I did last year. I have just been shopping in advance. I haven'treally started the Christmas season yet, but I will. I might as well, anyway. I mean, I'm working every night this week, so Thanksgiving is more of a concept to me at this point.

Screw it. BRING ON THE YULETIDE.

I may not have described my decorations very well, but trust me... they're good. I have good taste, but I also had a tight budget to work with. If I had a blank check, dude... my apartment would look like Ron Howard and Chris Columbus got together and took Ecstasy. I am awesome.

Great, I did it again. If I don't post this on my blog right now then it will be worthless the next time I get the chance to post.

0 Comments:

<< Home