Friday, August 06, 2010

A Day Long Remembered

I finally have all six Star Wars films on DVD.

That’s right. It is a well-known fact that I am an avid Star Wars superfan, including the Expanded Universe (books and comics). I know, it is shocking that until this point I didn’t even own the movies. But now I do. Belated birthday gift: the box sets of both trilogies.

I waited for years until they released a box set of the saga, and finally, finally, they released box sets of each trilogy. Close enough, I figured. I had always assumed that Lucasfilm would treat us with tons of wonderful extra features to reward those who waited—or, at least, encourage people who already have them to buy them again. But no. The movies are just ever so slightly tweaked (again). Not a whole lot of extra features. Oh well. Aesthetically, at least, these editions are still preferable to me, but I’m kind of annoyed that Lucasfilm still hasn’t released a comprehensive collection of bonus material.

This is the same reason I haven’t yet bought any of the Harry Potter movies. I’m expecting a totally sweet box set of all eight films, which I know they will release (I mean come on, they release a new box set every time one comes out, and how stupid would it look on your shelf to have “Years 1-6” and “Year 7” separately?). Also, it would bug me to no end if I had purchased the Collector’s Editions one at a time only to have the casing be mismatched (looking at you, Prisoner of Azkaban). It would also bug me if the long-awaited box set comes with obnoxiously opulent casing, like a 1/2-scale bust of Voldemort or something asinine that both looks dumb and won't fit on a shelf with your other movies. So we’ll see what they do for HP once all the DVDs are out.

Okay. I have all the Star Wars DVDs in the format that I wanted. This is a good thing.

Can we say… marathon?

Oh, and don’t bother commenting if all you’re going to do is riff on the prequel movies. I don’t need you crapping on my parade. If you don’t like them, you don’t have to watch them, but get over it already. We are years past the initial shockwave of fan-boy ire against George Lucas, and after a certain point it’s just rude to sully others’ enjoyment of something, isn’t it?

These movies are finally mine. No more borrowing, renting, or going three years at a time without seeing them at all. Yes, there was something terribly askew with the universe if someone like me didn’t even own the Star Wars movies. But now you can sleep at night. Rest assured that I’m probably watching them as you’re reading this.

Snoogins.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

THANK GOD. I haven't slept well in six years because of this!

WV: catimp - I think I've actually seen one of those.

Friday, August 06, 2010 8:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

"Indeed you ARE powerful..."

WV: tastrise - a tasting menu made of up the 'jam' found under week-old, unwashed scrota.

Monday, August 09, 2010 9:43:00 PM

 
Blogger the warrior bard said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Monday, August 09, 2010 10:42:00 PM

 
Blogger a guy in a chicken suit said...

Word verification: nonbed

Alternative venue for lovemaking.

Monday, August 09, 2010 10:44:00 PM

 

<< Home